Mormon History, Nov 28, 1847

[Minutes, Quorum of Twelve] Sunday 28 Nov[embe]r. 1847 10 A.M. Meeting in the Council House of the Twelve & High Council.
Present[:] Pres[iden]ts. [Brigham] Young, [Willard] Richards, Prayer by Aaron Johnson-minutes read-several alterations made & minutes accepted-
P[hineas]. Richards rose to "motion that the Clerk gather in all the Minutes of the Hi[gh]
Council, & file them["]-W[illiam] Major second[ed] & carried-
W Major motioned "that the Sexton make reports to this Council of the deeds done in the body" not being seconded-Fa[the]r. Harris appointed W Major to wait on the Sexton & cause [a] report to be made-
Nancy H. Davidson complained that she had nothing to eat or wear-
Bishop Knights replied-after he has fed the Soldiers Wives-then he gives to the Widows & the poor-
Council voted "that every man who is able to pay tithing-that Bishop Knight should collect it"-
L[uman]. H. Calkins-[A]bout 8 weeks ago your worships made a law that all tithing sho[ul]d. be p[ai]d. to Bishop Whitney & we little Bishops can not collect any of it-
B. Young-[A]ll that brother Lytle gives to that woman ought to be credited to him on tithing-
L. H. Calkins reported his charge ag[ain]st. W[illiam]. W. Phelps-& signed the charge-
I[saac]. Morley stated the case of Marion Harris in regard to 2 acres of corn in the South field-
Pres[iden]t. Young[: S]uppose you appoint a Co[mpany]. of 3 to go with bro Bills, Hetherington, & Sis Harris & visit the field-
Harris-I apoint L. H. Calkins, E. snelling /[?] Maline/ & [?] Major to be the three [on the] committee-& they are authorized to settle it-
Phinehas Richards[:] "I motion that No. 6 vacancy be filled."-W Major second[ed]-
Carried.
I. Morley[:] "I nominate bro Harvey Green to fill the vacancy"-laid over till next meeting-
Rob[er]t. Campbell enquired about a book to record Baptisms & blessing of infants-
W Major was instructed to hand in the Scraps to the Church Recorder-
I. Morley[:] "I move that Theodore Turley be a member of this council"-W Major Sec[onde]d. Carried-
B. Young[:] "I move that bro. Joseph Fielding be in the place of C[ornelius]. P. Lott.["] P. Richards sec[onde]d.-Carried-
W. W. Phelps said he was presented with 3 bills, & he refused to pay-[but he] has since made it right-[H]e was then mad but did not mean to injure any one-[He] has p[ai]d. [$]17.00-
Levi Richards[:] "I move that if any man hath aught ag[ain]st. W. W. Phelps-let him appear-or forever after hold his peace"-L. H. Calkins made a statement-Phelps[:] I want you to tell the whole story-& made his statement-
I. Morley[: "]I move that bro Phelps be forgiven." W. Major seconded-& carried.
Pres[iden]t. Young-[T]hese cases can be carried too far, or dropt too quick-[S]uppose a man does wrong & says will you forgive me-[B]ro. P[helps]. spoke in anger-he acknowledges it-pass it into forgetfulness-[I]t will result in more good than if he had not done as he has-
[O]thers seeing that he cant get out, they wont try to get out-I am not big enough to get out of this thing-[W]e bear our share-I never make a Cov[enan]t. that I wont do wrong-[B]ro. Phelps has done first rate.
Pres[iden]t. Harris[:] Bro. Phelps you are forgiven-Phelps[: T]hank you, & when you do [the] same Ill help to forgive you-(a laugh).
I. Morley[:] I move that we adjourn to 10 oclock next Sunday morn[ing]. Cox-second[ed]-
Carried-(2 PM)

[Minutes, Quorum of Twelve]

No comments:

Post a Comment