Mormon History, Nov 21, 1847

[Hosea Stout Diary] Sund Nov 21st 1847. This morning at 8 oclock my trial with Murdoc was to come off before Bishop Clark who was very much predjudiced against me for as soon as he read the charge he declared what I had done to be a most outrageous act act and that I was entirely wrong
When it came to a trial he utterly refused to hear the most important of my testimony saying it was not necessary,
When It came to the decision his two councillors differed with him thinking that As we were attacted by him while in the discharge of our duty we had a right to defend ourselves as we did and that Murdoc was the one for them to decide against and not me.
However he persisted in his opinion and decided that I should made a confession to Murdoc which I did now he would then give the rest of his opinion and then demanded if I would do it. I insisted on having all at once
He after a long time said I would in addition pay three dollars dine[.] To which I entirely refused to do and told him I would appeal to the Council, who I knew would sustain me as I had only carried out their orders.
Thus ended this trial. I then went to meeting. Then home.
At 2 oclock P. M. the Council met when my case came up[.] We had a long trial. Several on the opposite side swore t positive lies. The most absurd was John L Butler who swore that he was more than forty rods off and heard me beat Murdoc with a large club & he could hear the licks distinctly which sounded like beating an old dry Buffalo skin. When in reality he was only struck across the arm and he was not disabled so that he could not raise his arm above his head. I make mention of this perjury because I want to remember it against him[.] I can never view him in any other light than a corrupt perjured villain.
The others who sowre [swore] wrong I believe did it more through predjudiced and excited feelings than a desire to sware a lie as did Butler.
After this trial was over President Young desired to see the Council & police together alone. The house being cleared he told us that the council did right in sustaing me in what I had done & for us to maintain the law for the day we gave back or srunk we would be ran under foot. The subject of the picket guard was then taken up and agreed to be stopped only when the Indians were troublesome and then occasionally to appear out on horse back but to not let it be known that we were stoped[.] Council then adjourned it now being late at night

[Diaries of Hosea Stout]
[source: Diaries of Hosea Stout]

No comments:

Post a Comment