Mormon History, Dec 6, 1847

[Minutes, Quorum of Twelve] [At] " to 11-Pres[iden]ts. Young, Richards, [Orson] Hyde, [Orson] Pratt, [George A.]
Smith, Woodruff, [Amasa] Lyman, & [Ezra T.] Benson met in the small house conversing on "the Standard" [of] building the Temple in the Valley-[the] order in building same-[W]e want to fill up all the good vallies & places & keep out the Gentiles. [We] mean to spread ourselves-the top room will be for sealing-that is the highest degree that can be attained-
B. Y.[: "T]he rule of abstraction" [is to] take one from two [and it] leaves three-(laugh) We have power to beget children with flesh, bones, & blood-When bodies are celestialized our power is increased-[W]hy not get [a] Sp[irit] without bodies[?]-Sp[irits] are susceptible of Sp[irit] as body with body-[W]e will have powers to beget Sp[irits]-& tell them to take tabernacles-[T]hen you put the inclinat[io]n. into man & woman to beget bodies-God is the Fat[her]. of our Sp[irit] yet not the Fat[her]. of our bodies-We shall beget Sp[irits] & send these Sp[irits] into the world.
Prayer by Ezra T. Benson-Council sung "Come ye that love in the Lord."
O. Hyde suggested that we commence Settlements on Keg Creek, & continue North-to fill up Timbers spots-
B. Y. handed in [$]6.50 [-] the proceeds of the plates of Kirtland Safety money.
O. Hyde[:] "I motion that bro Brigham take the money & do what he likes with it"-O. Pratt second[ed]-Carried.
G. A. Smith [said he] feels stung at the conduct of the Old Judge (Phelps)-] he who has been so much in Council-
H. C. K.-If he will go & do what he was told to-it will do, or it must be made public-
[H]e is no better than any of the 12 nor so good-[T]here has been mercy shewn him-cut him off- baptize him & again ordain him-
O. H.[:] I wo[ul]d. not let him have his Women.
H. C. K.[:] If you rip them up you will destroy them.
A. Lyman. "I move that William W. Phelps be cut off from the Church for misconduct violating the Laws of the Priesthood in taking women women that do not belong to him & committing Adultery with them"-H. C. Kimball second[ed]-All hands up-
G. A. Smith spoke of Orson Spencer-his wife died-& he has married another-[I]s that right[?]-
B. Y.[:] Yes-
G. A. S.[: S]uppose I am in ano[the]r. part of the world & hear of a Wife being dead. [C]an I take ano[the]r.
B. Y.[: M]y opinion is any thing that you do in righteousness-there is no harm in it-[I]f a man is faithful & can get a Wife without injuring the cause all is right-
O. P.[:] If one of [the] Council take a Wife under same circ[umstanc]es as W. W. P[helps]. he wo[ul]d. be in same transgression-
O. H.[:] I reasoned with bro Parley & bro Taylor on this very thing-
B. Y.[:] They rec[eive]d. instr[ucti]ons not to meddle with women-
B. Y.[:] There never ought to be any laws to trammel a judge s feelings, but to judge according to the merits of [the] case-Have a Post Office right strait-& bro Babbitt for county judge-James Allred-W[illia]m. Perkins or such like men-Have Counties enough laid off & swallow up the officers-Alpheus Green of Watertown NY has influence with [the] Gov[ernmen]t.
[and] P.O. Department-
O. H.[:] "I motion that Dr. Richards write to Col Kane respecting the establishing of all necessary P. Offices on the Pottowatomie Lands"-E. T. Benson second[ed]-carried-
E T B.[:] I propose Evan M. Green to be the Postmaster-A. Lyman sec[onde]d. Carried.
B. Y.[:] It is our right & we owe to put our hands on his head to be Patriarch of the /over the whole/ Church., [the] same as Bro Hyrum-or Fat[her]. Smith-
E. T. B.[:] I motion that it is done, O Hyde[:] I second it-Carried-
H. C. K.[:] "I motion that Uncle John Smith be the Patriarch over the whole Church." W. Woodruff seconded-all hands up-
B. Y.[:] "I motion that brother Orson Hyde go to the East & get us /10,000 or 100,000/ some help. & take bro. Appleby with him.["]
H. C. Kimball[:] I second it-
O. H.[:] Brethren, I am ready to go-& If I go there I will use every thing I can use-
W R[:] I [k]no[w] you can get & shall get 100,000.
B. Y.[:] You can get & shall get it, & be back by 6 April-Bro Hyde stay here-& keep sending Companys over the mountains every Spring-Bro. O. Pratt take his family into the Eastern States [and] Raise oceans of Wheat, Calves, Pigs, Sheep, [and] Chickens-
W R[:] What kind of a council shall we have in the Valley-a Hi[gh] Council or City Council[?]-
B. Y.[:] I cant begin to dictate laws to any p[eo]pl[e], till I know their circumstances-
G. A. S.[:] "I motion that bro E. T. Benson go to the East with bro Hyde, provided he has a mind to"-W Richards sec[onde]d. Carried.
O. P.[:] I motion that some Instrument by way of Gentile Fashion, by way of resolves, be drawn out & take[n] to the East.
O. H.[:] To whom it may concern[:] Persons from Pisgah under O. H. autho[rit]y. from Head Quarters [blank] write private letter to friends-
O. P.[:] The Council have decided with me exactly as I wished-to stay here till Spring- then go to the Eastern States-
W W[:] I am on hand to go just where the Lord wants me to go.
B. Y. Inquired what shall we do about filling up the Quorum of the 12-[S]hall we do it now, or what?
Several[:] Let it remain until 6 April-20 min[utes] to 4
E T B[:] I motion that we adjourn to tomorrow at 9 oclock at bro Daley s-W Richards sec[onde]d.-[A]ll hands up.
H. C. K.[:] I motion that Luke Johnson be ordained an Elder-W Richards[:] I second-all hands up-
G. A. Smith[:] "I motion that brother Orson Pratt go to England & take charge of the affairs of the Church." E. T Benson second[ed]-carried-
E. T Benson[:] "I motion that bro Amasa Lyman go to the South & get help.["] G. A. Smith sec[onde]d.-Carried.
[T]he Council then went to sup on the blessings of God which were bestowed by El[der]
Hyde. [A]fter supper [we] parted with the brethren when Pres[iden]ts. Young, Kimball, Richards, [and] Lyman-with T[homas] B[ullock] were driven in the two Carriages starting at dusk over the Prairies to Ezra Chases where we arrived at dark finding all well-Thawing in the eve[ning]-
W Richards dictated [a] long letter to Col. Kane. Elder Hyde s Introduction. letter to Rob[er]t. Campbell & Dana. Copied by T. B.

[Minutes, Quorum of Twelve]
[source: Minutes, Quorum of Twelve]

No comments:

Post a Comment