Mormon History, Jun 23, 1846. Tuesday.

[William Clayton Journal] This morning I got my food ready to start after Diantha but Vilate Ruth seemed quite sick and I concluded not to start. We took the teams and went to the village to pick gooseberries but it rained near all the time we were gone. I bought a Scythe and some other things and tried to trade a watch for a yoke of cattle. Major [] Mitchel offered me 3 yoke for the Gold watch. We got home about 3:00 o'clock. I then went and told the president about Mitchel's offer and he told me to sell it. It was so cold and wet and windy we went to bed early and soon after we got to bed Heber [Kimball] and Doctor Richards came to my wagon with two letters from Diantha one dated Nauvoo May 17, 1846 the other Big Prairie, June 18. She tells that she is sent on by her father and is with Lorin and is very anxious I should bring her or send for her. I made up my mind to start tomorrow. The night was very stormy with strong winds and heavy rains.

[source: George D. Smith, An Intimate Chronicle; The Journals of William Clayton, Signature Books in association with Smith Research Associates, Salt Lake City, 1995, http://amzn.to/william-clayton]

No comments:

Post a Comment