Mormon History, 28 June 1846 (Evening)

[Brigham Young Discourse] I instructed the newly arrived brethren to report themselves and be enrolled in a company as one would be selected to go over the mountains and put in seed; for I was aware, that all that men and hell could invent to hedge up the way of the camp, would be hatched up. I moved that we all go over the mountains, leaving our families, which was sustained by unanimous vote. I asked, who would volunteer to leave their families and go over the mountains. Scores voted. I said, if the Church is blown to the four winds and never gathered again, remember I have told you how, when and where to gather, and if you do not go now, remember and bear me witness in the day of judgment. When God tells a man what to do, he admits of no argument, and I want no arguments, and if they will go I will warrant them safety in so doing. -- Council Bluffs, Iowa [Manuscript History of Brigham Young, 1846- 1847. Elden J. Watson, ed. Salt Lake City: Smith Secretarial Service, 1971.:200-201]

[The Complete Discourses of Brigham Young, Ed. Richard S. Van Wagoner, Smith-Pettit Foundation, Salt Lake City (2009)]

No comments:

Post a Comment