Mormon History, Mar 19, 1849

[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 19th I parted with the saints And took the stage at west Harwick And rode 20 miles then took rail road & went to Boston. My Company in the stage & mostly in the Cars was sailors Mates & Captains on their way to Boston & New York to take ships & go to sea mostly to Calafornia. /65./ One Captain was vary sorrowful in consequence of having to leave his family so long. Was about on the point of Giving it up & going home the last I saw of him.
Cape Cod is A plesant place for A summer residence. They have A sea breeze from evry point of compass, plenty of fishing on evry hand. The soil most altogether sand, upland pitch & white pine low land cedar. What crops are raised is mostly done by dressing the land with fish. Distance of the day 75 m.
On my return home I found My Father in haw Ezra Carter Sen. At my house. It was the first time He had ever had an opportunity of paying us A visit. Calvin Foss was also still there.

[source: Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies]

No comments:

Post a Comment