Mormon History, Mar 18, 1849

[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 18 Sunday I met with a large Congregation of the inhabitants of the cape, Saints, captains, Sailors, fisherman, Christians & infidels. I preached to the people in the forenoon, afternoon, & Evening. I dismissed the Congregation at 9 oclok then held A Church meeting untill midnight. I organized the Church with 21 members. Appointed Nathaniel Eldridge an presiding Elder And Horace Humphry & Thomas [.] Eldridge his councellors. I baptized & confirmed one. I Administered unto 2 that were sick. I retired to rest at 1 oclock Having held 4 meetings through the day And night. I found the Body of the Church badly broaken to peaces through the wicked Conduct of A Mr Russell. This is the first time I have ever visited the cape.

[source: Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies]

No comments:

Post a Comment