Mormon History, Feb 12, 1849

[Brigham Young Sermon] was 100,000 years old I would be no more his president the Kingdom and the Priesthood and that's enough - its fallen to my lot to preside over this people - other brethren may be called to preside - I don't know where the Lord will lead me - its none of your business where the Lord loves me - I have loved the 12 more than they have all loved each other - when the times comes that their love should be exercised is the love of a tender father to his children - you cant tell how this harness feels on you till you feel it - they are in the harness and must keep in the line or they will be cuffed - let there be one particle of variance in feeling in the Quorum of the Twelve it will cut - you will find you have the people on one side and the President on the other - you have got to look out how you walk or you will fall - you will find you are squeeze up in a vice. I am an Apostle no more or less - I want other men to take our place that the work may spread and prosper and not be marred all we have got to do is to make the body perfect - are you going to be lessened, and drop a little - who has any grumbling say I or think I shall be the loser and be out of my place - if you go through the vail then is Joseph the first president - if any person has got cause of regret it is myself. will I be the president of the church yonder - Brother Joseph is our head and will be in all eternity where is B[righam] and H[eber] and W[illard]. why they are nobody - it is the men who are taken from the Quorum of Twelve who have the cause to feel - when Thomas B. Marsh was president of the Twelve - he was as like a toad's hair comb, up and down - since I have been the president I am daddy - we never had any thing more than for me to do and say as I please - if we are not between the fires - you are not I am sure - if I don't render an account to Joseph - you have not to - I am sure - I have to walk Joseph is right with me all the time - all I do to build up the Kingdom is just as if Joseph was looking me right in the eye - and our hearts and feelings are one - he would say that's right my boys - and I have not done a thing without knowing that - all I ask is for my Father to give me grace that I may go right along... The keys are not equal they are different. Joseph was ordained an apostle - then OC [Oliver Cowdery] then Joseph was called upon to organize the Church for you have got the keys - he received a revelation that other apostles would be called - he organized then other apostles were ordained to all the power - was Joseph and the 12 equal - they were equal in the ordination but not in calling - he wills and directs and every man has to walk as he wills - the Lord says walk on you have the keys - and they never shall be taken from my servant Joseph in time and all eternity - Brigham is just the same as Joseph but was not so when Joseph lived and their ordination is the same but there calling is not the same - Where the presidency cannot be there the Twelve go to fill it - that's as straight as a line - all the 70 that were ordained High Priests have all the power of an Apostle. he came in a number of times and said be sure to put the HP on every man you ordain - and then told them to ordain them apostles - when the Twelve and the First Presidency are taken away - then the 70 would take the lead - we have no account of the place of Peter, James and John placed being filled - the Twelve were killed and there was an end - but this is the time that it is to increase until it fills the whole earth - by and by you cut off the presidency then the devil slays the Twelve - then he kills the 70 - until he kills the whole body - but as soon as a Quorum is cut off - fill it up again - I can have a revelation all the time but we are better without it than with until they think of some of the old ones. Brother Heber and I have ordained 8 of the 12 - when we ordained these 4 we shall have ordained a perfect quorum - the High Council of Far West were disaffected - 6 were gone out of town - we called a little over one half - I gave the H P the wink, when we got 5 of the H P and 3 or 4 of the good in faith - we then drew up the disaffected and disfellowship them - if all the disaffected ones had been together they would have whipped us out - We have ordained 12 apostles, expect no more - Joseph never did 1 '- OC [Oliver Cowdery], David Whitmer did it - then fell on 12 - they have been ordained by us - if any more come in, ordained by Quorum not by us - we have done our work - 7 are here I can see you will have to do as we were directed - your future lives will drop the hammer and work - let them alone for ever and ever - had we remembered there the 12 would never have raised a bushel of grain any more we should have preached the gospel and the people supplied our wants - burst the bands from their feet cut loose and let them go. Second Account. -- Salt Lake City [I'm 14 days older than On the PotterÂ's Wheel: The Diaries of Heber C. Kimball. Stanley B. Kimball, ed. Salt Lake City: Signature Books-Smith Research Associates, 1987. [Heber C. Kimball] if I]

[source: The Complete Discourses of Brigham Young, Ed. Richard S. Van Wagoner, Smith-Pettit Foundation, Salt Lake City (2009), http://bit.ly/BY-discourses]

No comments:

Post a Comment