Mormon History, Mar 2, 1849

[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 2d I recieved A letter from Br Wm. Sweat And filled another sheet to Orson Pratt. I spoke of my birth day, gave him all the News I had from the valley, my interview with Br Whipple, with Br Babbitt made An extract Concerning him And the Government from my Journals. Also made An extract from my address to the Historian concerning Zion &c &c. The following is an Extract of my letter to him:
Cambridgeport March 1st 1849
Elder Pratt Beloved Brother, As this is my birth day Also the first day of spring, my mind is led this morning more than usual to reflect upon the signs of the times of the Globe upon which we dwell. And while meditating upon Zion And Her messengers my mind flits across the Ocean & runs over the wall And takes A view of A large company of swift messengers who are the Horns of Joseph used to push the people together from the ends of the Earth. These meditations Create A desire to Convers A few moments with Br Pratt. So while all Nature is locked fast in sleep before the dawn of day is broke to start man from his slumber I seat myself to say A few words to you.
I said this was my birth day. Yes I am 42 years old this day. How such figures look to a man while Counting up his years in this probation. The vary sight of them Croud into the mind A flood of thought even more than tongue can utter or pen can write. The last sixteen years of my life has been spent in endeavouring to preach the Gospel & build up the Kingdom of God in connexion with my brethren. The past is gone. I have no desire to recal it. I would not wish to live my life over if I Could. I feel like looking forward & not backward. I have a great desire that I may spend my future days doing the work of righteousness, Honoring the Priesthood & my calling, saving the Souls of men, & building up the Kingdom of God that I may have a place with the faithful at the end of the race.
Turn my eyes which way I will Either towards Babylon or Zion And I find the movements & signs of Either of them at the present day Are fully keeping pace with the wheels of time. It is deeply interesting to see hear, feel, & live in this age and gaze upon the scenery of the whole Earth rushing like A Mighty cataract to finish its work while the high minded Jew in the highth of his pride was exhausting his talents & oratory to prove to the Roman and the world their right to independance greatness & power.
The Son of God was in Lamb like meekness bowing to one ordinance of Baptism And all the rites of the gospel & commandments of his Father looking forward to the day when He should make his second visit to his brethren with his reward upon his head. So at the present day while the Emperors, Kings, Princes, Lords, Nobles, Presidents Governours, Statesman with all the great men of Babylon have been making A desperate Effort to maintain their dignity And appear to a good Advantage before the whole Earth, many of the most Noble spirits that ever dwelt in flesh like Jesus and the Apostles have been meekly submitting to the ordinances of the gospel, and like little children have been subject to the Authority of the Holy Priesthood And have made evry sacrafize required and laboured day & night to build up Zion that the honest in Heart & the meek of the Earth may have A place to flee to in order to Escape the just judgment of that God whose rod is now suspended in the Heavens and is about to Fall upon the Earth and lay great Babylon with all of Her greatness pomp power, and glory in the dust.
My Prayer to God is that evry Elder of Israel & saint of God throughout the whole Earth may be incouraged to labour dilligently & faithfully while the day of Harvests lasts. For soon night will come when No man can work. Then they will be Just as sure of their reward As was their Chief Captain & Head.

[source: Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies]

No comments:

Post a Comment