Mormon History, Feb 12, 1849

[Brigham Young Sermon] in the harness - but let there be some particle of variation in your movements - I will cuff you - you have the Pres. [Presidency] on one side and the people on the other - and you'll find you are squeezed out into the vice - I do leave? the Twelve. I do not - I want other men to take our place - I want the body to be perfect that there may be no jar nor discord to [cut] of us then we will drop an? letter - I don't want to be lessened in my power and influence - who need to reflect - I shall [-] the Twelve - if any person has any cause to grumble about it it is us who are taken out - well our places are filled up - Joseph behind the veil he is the first president - who then is Brigham where is B H & Ws place - they are the men that complain - and since Thomas B. Marsh's left the Twelve no bickerings. talk about the Twelve being between the fires - if I aint then you aint - if I haven't to walk as though Joseph was looking me right in the eye - And if Joseph says he my boys that's right - when he gets this men? with me doing here - I am willing to know of it and then to go and do it... Brother Pratt observed when a man ordained apostles his keys and powers all alike - they are not - Joseph ordained Oliver Cowdery an apostle, Oliver Cowdery ordained Joseph - then Joseph commanded to ordain the church and other apostles were to be called - well these other apostles were ordained - they were ordained to the same power - but God called upon him to lead and you hold the keys - although you may ordain thousands of apostles - Brigham was ordained the same as Joseph was - but the calling of God to men are different - and a man has got to act in his calling in the priesthood and if he wont go according to his calling to be damned - the 70s that were ordained in Kirtland were ordained High Priests and apostles - be sure to ordain on the 70s the High Priesthood and the apostleship to Hazen Aldrich and Joseph turned on the 70s have the power and if the 12 and Presidency out of the way they have got the calling - what matters whether the three Peter James and John places filled up - that church decreased but it is not the case with this church - for the devil would cut off the 3. then muster all his forces and cut off the 12 and gather all his forces and cut off the 70s. If I wanted I could have have revelation - about these men coming into the Quorum. Brother Heber and I have ordained 8 of the 12 already when we ordained the 4 we shall have got the 12 (ordained). I presided over Far West. I cut off the High Council at Far West when Whitmer and Phelps cut off. I got the council together when some of them were away. got 6 together - biggest half of them disaffected but gave High Priests the wink to be on hand '- [-] men full of fire - only 3 of that council firm in the faith other 4 disaffected - got?... Joseph never ordained any of the 12 - OC [Oliver Cowdery] & Whitmer - we have ordained 12 - I expect if any more comes into this Quorum here to be ordain by the 12 - I can say to those ordained you will have to do as were don't - you will have to lay the plainer and jointer in the way - lay the paint brush pass - and we should have preached the Gospel and the people supply their wants - burst band - take off [-] cut loose - If I had to go away - would feel like flying over the mountains - If the Council House finished be there every night with the 70s the 12 - and the High Priests - the 12 have got to come to me - I never shall go to them for ever they have got to court me - If I don't live right - the Lord soon remove me out of the way but others couldn't. -- Salt Lake City [the harness K [On the PotterÂ's Wheel: The Diaries of Heber C. Kimball. Stanley B. Kimball, ed. Salt Lake City: Signature Books-Smith Research Associates, 1987] spoke of feels till its on - you are]

[source: The Complete Discourses of Brigham Young, Ed. Richard S. Van Wagoner, Smith-Pettit Foundation, Salt Lake City (2009), http://bit.ly/BY-discourses]

No comments:

Post a Comment