Mormon History, Mar 6, 1847

B[righam]. Young., W[illard] Richards., O[rson] Pratt., W[ilford]. Woodruff-H[eber]. C. Kimble [Kimball], E[zra]. T Benson.
Pres[iden]t. Young came in ab[ou]t. 20 min[utes]: past 12.
Captains reported.
E[zra]. T. Benson rose by request of Pres[ident]. Young & enquired whether it was best to make a location this side, or over the Mountains-[W]ill it not be best for the Pioneers to go where the Lord directs[?]-[W]e start like Abram not knowing where the location will be. I want my family to stay here until I know what we have to live on. [T]his Pioneer Co[mpany]. can live where Women & Children would die-I want a foundation laid-I dont bel[iev]e a person is going to be troubled with Canker who has been here 3 months.-[L]et the Pioneers go-leaving corn & Potatoes for our families.
H[eber]. C. Kimball motioned [that] to let the Lord lead us & all will be well-[S]ec[onde]d.
R[eynolds]. Cahoon[:] It is not wisdom for all this people to go-[I]t will be a good thing to go 4 or 500 miles & stay where there is plenty of timber & make a good farm-[T]hose who go in the Spring can put in a good crop of Grain-make a farm here, & next Spring they can go with Comfort-
W[illard]. Richards-wants to speak on physical & scientific principals-[A]s far as natural principles go-this is the most healthy on this River-[S]ome have Rheumatism, Canker, & I was going to say Gout-& in all the prin[ciples]: of science & common sense, the air [a]round Salt water is too pure for consumptive people-[A]ll the body of Nauvoo [Illinois] was a Slough where this people have been filled with disease. [W]here-we are approaching the mountains-which is purer Air & water-[T]he Wells are perfectly good & wholesome, if you keep them clean-[but] the River Water is best-[W]e are approaching the purer wholesome air-the moment a person approaches it-Canker & disease rise to oppose it.-[T]he principles of life is beginning to revive-[T]his is more healthy, than any Camp between here & Nauvoo or even the Battalion-& [if] we go in the sick state we now are in, to the mountains, we should drop like the Wind-[I]f I dont want to kill my family, I want [to] take them too sudden to this purer atmosphere-I am perfectly willing to leave my family, on account of their health-[S]ince we come into this region of Country-this people have worked day & night & are now weary. & by the extreme labor has made them sick-[I]f a man has exercise enough, it is enough for health-[I]f we go 5 or 600 miles to put in a crop this Spring, we are too late-[W]e have to be particular in picking our location-so as to irrigate the farm-[Y]ou can plant two acres here to one there-& two acres will produce more than 25 acres there. [T]here wont be half the trouble to protect crops here as they are there-I calculate to spend the next Winter on the other side of the Mountain-[I]f the families stay here this Season, the next Season they can go thro[ugh] the Mountains with safety-therefore will it not be best to leave them here[?]-
[S]uppose these Pioneers go thro[ugh] the Mountain-your houses are built here, & you have things prepared for them[?]-This people are worn out-that is better than to rust out-here you can turn your cattle into the Pea vines & rushes-& next Spring you can go thro[ugh] the Mountains without having a stopping place for the Devil-
Isaac Morley let the Pioneers state as soon as they can & go thro[ugh] the mountains-[I]f there s a Company here-A Co[mpany]. at the Mountains & a Co[mpany]. across the Mountains-it is weakening our hands-[T]he building [of] another city is att[ende]d. with trouble & expence.-& we ought to hear from the Pioneers-[A]s the Twelve are our leaders, let them dictate the whole concern-
B[enjamin]. Clapp[:] I do not doubt that some have prayed that the Twelve may stay until they could catch up with them-they may as well stick the stake this here /year/ as three or four years hence.
A[ddison]. Everett made a few remarks, also Willard Snow-
O[rson]. Pratt[: T]he Co[mpanie]s., after being organized, were to select families who shall go in the Spring-this rev[elatio]n. presupposes that some families shall go in the Spring-& we must choose which. [T]he men in the army will be discharged the next Summer & will push for the place where the crops will be-their families should be the first to go. [And] a few of the families will want to go-I do not think it wisdom to send on the Pioneer families this Spring-the Soldiers have been absent longer from their families than the Pioneers would be-
B[righam]. Young-I like the remarks /of every one of you./ [Y]ou l are willing to do just as I tell you-[I]f you spent a week debating, at the end of the week you d be pi [?]'take the Soldiers Women-[W]hen we get this Season to the place I shall take a Co[mpany]. & go over the mountains-I will not be hurried-but will do as I am dictated /by the Sp[irit] of the Lord/-[B]ut I will leave here & go where I can convert the Gentiles & strengthen the Brethren-[A]ny man can discern the Spirits-just do as you are told-& all will be right-[N]ow /the best thing is/ turn out the whole of you & go & fix the Mill Dam-let the officers meet here on Monday night at dark.

[source: Minutes, Quorum of Twelve]

No comments:

Post a Comment