Mormon History, Wednesday, Mar 17, 1847.

[Apostle Willard Richards Journal] Warm day, south wind. President Young, Brothers Pettit, Everett, and others came in the office. Heard StrangÂ's Covenant, etc., read. Left 25 minutes to 12. At 1, President Young, Captain Busby, and A. P. Rockwood called. T. B. [Thomas Bullock] made out his list of ten. Immediately afterwards saw ten flocks of wild geese flying to the north, all in view at one time. Dr. [Richards] came in office about noon, then out.
[At] 7 p.m., B. Young, O. Pratt, W. Woodruff, W. Richards, presidents and captains of hundreds and fifties met at the council house. Conversation on many things relating to emigration. Then Willard Richards Bullock, son of Thomas and Henrietta Bullock, died at half past 4 p.m. John Neff received an elderÂ's license this day. John Neff received an high priest license this day. President Young spoke at some length showing how he had always sustained his family by his own exertions, and the blessings of Providence, and had done more for the Church than the Church had for him, although individuals had done much and thanked them for it. He stated that he intended to go over the mountains and find a place of gathering this season and wanted his family to go, and all the Twelve and their families, and Father John SmithÂ's when the emigration company went. That while Joseph lived the Twelve dwelt under his shadow, and now the Church wanted to be under the shadow of the Twelve.
At 2 p.m., Mary PierceÂ's funeral was attended [by] B. Y. [Brigham Young], H. C. K. [Kimball], E. T. B. [Benson], W. R. [Richards]. President B. Young preached 45 minutes, followed by Joseph Young and E. T. Benson. From thence Dr. went to Thomas BullockÂ's, laid hands on little Willard with T. B. [Thomas Bullock], and gave him over into the hands of the Lord, and he went to sleep at half past 4.
About 5, President Young and Dr. [Richards] visited the mill dam, found the water very high, filling the flumes and water running in the race for the first time, the flood gates up and water running over the north side of the dam about 15 feet, and within about 3 inches of the top of the puddling. Might have been grinding, but the lower side of the wheel was about two feet under water and frozen at the bottom so that it could not start. The Twelve retired to the office till 11. Dr. wrote John Fidoe. Closed at 1:30 a.m.

[source: Apostle Willard Richards Journal]

No comments:

Post a Comment