Mormon History, Oct 18, 1844, Friday

-- Oct 18, 1844, Friday
[William Clayton Writings] Saturday 19th. ... Last night I dreamed I was in a nice building in a very pleasant place. I thought I was married to brother Cutlers youngest daughter & she seemed as happy as an angel and I felt full of joy and peace. I thought I had received Miss Cutler in addition to those I had already got. When I awoke I felt disappointed and felt to pray in my heart O God if it be thy will give me that women for a companion and my soul shall praise thee but they will be done and not mine ... Sister Booth tells me that Sara Ann is very unhappy and wants to see me she says Jane Charnock is perfectly unhappy and if there is any way she can be loosed she wants me to take her. Mary Aspen is ready to unite to me as her savior and sister Booth says she shall not risk her salvation in Roberts hands & wants me to interfere We had considerable conversation on many subjects and felt pretty well. (1)

-- Oct 19, 1844
William Clayton writes in his journal: "Last night I dreamed I was in a rich building in a very pleasant place. I thought I was married to Brother Cutlers Youngest daughter and she seemed as happy as an angel and I felt full of joy and peace. I thought I had received Miss Cutler in addition to those I had already got. When I awoke I felt disappointed and felt to pray in my heart O God if it be thy will to give me that woman for a companion and my soul shall praise thee but thy will be done and not mine." Emily Cutler was sixteen years old at this time; Clayton was 30 years old and had three wives. He went on to have ten wives and 47 children. (2)

[High Council Minutes]

The High Council of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints met at one o'clock in the Hall of the Seventies, (owing to repairs being made in the First Presidency's Hall according to adjournment.

Present of the Council

Saml Bent Jas. Allred

Lewis D. Wilson

David Fulmer Geo. W. Harris

Thos Grover

Newel Knight Wm Huntington

Ezra T. Benson

No business being brought before the Council,

Voted to adjourn until next Saturday at one o'clock P.M.

C.C. Pendleton (3)

-- Oct 19, 1844. Saturday.
[William Clayton Journal] ...Last night I dreamed I was in a rich building in a very pleasant place. I thought I was married to Brother [Alpheus] Cutlers youngest daughter and she seemed as happy as an angel and I felt full of joy and peace. I thought I had received Miss Cutler in addition to those I had already got. When I awoke I felt disappointed and felt to pray in my heart O God if it be thy will give me that woman for a companion and my soul shall praise thee but thy will be done and not mine . . . Sister [Ann] Booth tells me that Sara Ann [Whitney] is very unhappy and wants to see me she says Jane Charnock is perfectly unhappy and if there is any way she can be loosed she wants me to take her. Mary Aspen is ready to unite to me as her savior and Sister Booth says she shall not risk her salvation in Roberts [Booth] hands and wants me to interfere. We had considerable conversation on many subjects and felt pretty well. (4)

-- Oct 20, 1844
[Brigham Young Journal] sunday 20 held a meeting in the evening with the Brethrin (5)

-- After Oct 21, 1844
Alice Felt Tyler describes William Miller's failed prediction of the end of the world:

' ... Preparations for the end were made by countless hundreds of joyous or desperate souls. White cloth was purchased and made into ascension robes. Nearly all secular business was neglected ... Voting was light ... Tents were put up outside cities ... and hundreds of people assembled on the night of October 21 [1844] to keep their vigil together. No provision was made for food ... the tension was intolerable ... There were several suicides, and as the dawn of October 23 served notice that "time continued" regardless of prophecy, some heart-broken Millennialists were led away insane. ' (6)

-- Oct 21, 1844
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 21st I left Peterboro in company with Elders C. A. Adams & Stephen Foster & rode to Elder Chilon Mack son of Solomon Mack, in Gilsum N.H. 23 miles.

I preached in the evening at Gilsum. I enjoyed myself well. I spent the night with Mr Solomon Mack 72 years of Age Brother to Lucy Smith the Mother of Joseph Smith the Prophet. I spent the evening in Conversing with him about the Smith family and the gospel. Wished him to be baptized. (7)

[Brigham Young Journal] monday went to Br Millers took dinner crost the Fox river staed all nite with Br Dunavan (5)

Apostle Orson Hyde, then husband of three wives, writes: "I will now venture a prediction, that since Nauvoo has thrown off so much bile from its stomach [i.e., Sidney Rigdon] it will be more healthy, and less complaints about spiritual wives, adultery, bogus making, &c. &c." The letter is published two months later in a Mormon newspaper. (2)


Footnotes:
1 - Fillerup, Robert C., compiler; William Clayton Nauvoo Diaries and Personal Writings, A chronological compilation of the personal writings of William Clayton while he was a resident of Nauvoo, Illinois. http://www.boap.org/LDS/Early-Saints/clayton-diaries
2 - On This Day in Mormon History, http://onthisdayinmormonhistory.blogspot.com
3 - Minutes of the High Council of the Church of Jesus Christ of Nauvoo Illinois: Nauvoo Hancock County Illinois, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies
4 - George D. Smith, An Intimate Chronicle; The Journals of William Clayton, Signature Books in association with Smith Research Associates, Salt Lake City, 1995, http://amzn.to/william-clayton
5 - Brigham Young Journal (1801-1877) Journal #2 July, 1837- Mar. 1845
6 - Grunder, Rick, Mormon Parallels: A Bibliographic Source
7 - Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies


LDS History Timeline
About this site: http://bit.ly/mhist

No comments:

Post a Comment