Mormon History, Monday, Feb 1, 1847.

[Apostle Willard Richards Journal] Winter Quarters. Wind south, and mild until about 3 p.m. when it veered to the northwest accompanied with driving snow. Very severe. At 9 a.m., President Morley, and the captains in the first hundred of President B. YoungÂ's company met in the council from 11 till 1, the second hundred from 1 till 3, the captains of the third hundred, and from 3 to 5 the captains of the fourth hundred. Met and organized the captains of tens, who also chose their ten men. A form was drawn up for organizing the companies and approved by President Young. At 6 p.m., the bishops and their councillors met in the council house and reported the state of their several wards, and continued in council till about 11.
About 4 p.m., the Dr. [Richards] called on President Young, found him sitting up, some better. Informed him that it was reported that the Omahas had threatened to kill him if he did not give up Henry Miller and Arza Adams to them, to be punished for robbing their dead friends of their buffalo robes, moccasins, etc. The President wished a council in the evening to investigate the matter and send letters to Miller and Adams to restore the property, also, to Major Miller, the government agent.
About 7 p.m., H. C. Kimball, W. Richards, W. Woodruff, George A. Smith, and Amasa Lyman, Hosea Stout and Horace S. Eldridge met in council at the recorderÂ's office for the first time and voted to write a letter to Henry Miller and Arza Adams to return the articles taken from the murdered Omahas. If they had done it, also to write to Major Miller and the interpreter to hear their views.
President Kimball said he dreamed a few nights since that a tremendous storm arose and beat open a great body of waters, and after it abated, thought he would go to the shore and see the fish he thought must have been destroyed. Did not disturb the dead, but tried to save some not quite dead, caught several by the tail and opened one large one with his knife and out hopped an Indian. A letter was written to Henry Miller and Arza Adams and others, also a letter to Major Miller and Logan Fontenelle and approved by council.
Voted that Samuel Russell carry the letter to Miller and Logan Fontenelle. Voted that John Vance carry the letter to Miller and Adams. Voted that the police have the council house one day for recreation. Voted that Elder Woodruff have the council house one day for [a] ward party. Council continued their chat till about 11, then dispersed. Brother Eldridge Tufts, on a visit from St. Joseph's, was in council the latter part of the evening and tarried in the office till 2 ½ [2:30] past midnight. Dr. [Richards] went to bed about 3. The night was very tedious with wind and cold.

[source: Apostle Willard Richards Journal]

No comments:

Post a Comment