Mormon History, Friday, Feb 5, 1847.

[Apostle Willard Richards Journal] Winter Quarters. Northwest wind, pleasant. [At] 10 a.m., Randolf Alexander took a mail of three letters to Mt. Pisgah. William Kimball and George Grant took the band, in carriages, on a serenade through the city. About 11, Presidents Kimball, Richards, Woodruff, George A. Smith, and Amasa Lyman assembled in the recorderÂ's office, also present, Robert Campbell and Thomas Bullock, writing.
Brother Kimball said he dreamed last night that he had a sieve and went to a clear stream of water. Went to put in his net with poles and last pole stuck. Fish began to run in. When got on stone, then came two loaves, and [the] net was so full as you might walk on, and they did not stop to go in at the door, but run over the net and filled it full by thousands and thousands from every quarter. When we wanted fish, went with an ax and knocked them on the head. I was a fish and expected every minute to be knocked on the head by William Clayton, who knocked me three times [but] did not hurt me. [I] thought I would make my will. Jumped up, shook hands with my wife, thought I would make my will, told her my time had come, and awoke.
Robert Campbell went in the house. [At] about 12 ½[12:30], Kimball and Richards went to find President Young when the band was serenading before the PresidentÂ's house. President Young came up in front of the council house when John Young and family came up to attend the Silver Gray [Grey] party, and the Presidency and John Young repaired to the office. President Young told a dream, that he had been chased by officers and ran north, but as they had got Taylor, Pratt, and Woodruff, he would go back and die, and preached to them, etc.
Hosea Stout and Bishop Carns came in and reported that there was some truth about the stealing of the dead OmahaÂ's robes, and by the council it was considered a perfect disgrace for white men to commit an act which an Indian would not do. Dr. [Richards] repeated Eldridge TuftÂ's vision, and letter from John Miller, Indian agent. Voted by council that George A. Smith and Amasa Lyman organize those they have collected for a company in one of the first two companies without appointing any more presidents at present. Voted that President YoungÂ's company be called first division, and President Kimball's company, second division of the Camp of Israel. President Woodruff reported his company of hundred organized, A. O. Smoot, captain of hundred, Zera Pulsipher, captain [of] fifty.
About 3 p.m., Father Smith sent in an invitation by T. Bullock for President Young to come into the Silver GrayÂ's [Grey] picnic. The council went immediately in and found the council house well filled. President Young made some explanatory remarks, which was followed by singing, prayer by Father Morley, and singing, when the Twelve retired to the office. Decided to write J. A. Stratton that we approve of his nomination of Elder Felt to the presidency at St. Louis.
Voted that the money last sent by the Battalion to the council shall be given up to the sisters so far as they need it and call for it; it appears to have been designed for the sisters. Also voted that the same funds come into the hands of President Young and be paid out by him at his discretion. Adjourned at 4 ½ [4:30] p.m., and [at] about 5, the Twelve and ladies visited the Silver GrayÂ's [Grey] picnic, and about the time of their refreshments which consisted of pies, cakes, bread, meat, parched corn, and cold water, furnished from their several baskets placed on a table and passed round to those who could not come at the table. The house was very full. Father Smith and the managers presided. After supper, the evening was spent mostly in dancing, conversation, and reading "The Word and Will of the Lord" by William Clayton. The band was present.
Patty Sessions delivered Cynthia Ann, wife of Gilbert Morse, of a son named William Amos at 2 a.m.

[source: Apostle Willard Richards Journal]

No comments:

Post a Comment