Mormon History, Apr 15, 1846. Wednesday.

[William Clayton Journal] Last night I got up to watch, there being no guard. [Horses and cattle] breaking into the tents and wagons. I tarried up then called up S[amuel] Hales and Kimball. This morning Ellen Kimball came to me and wishes me much joy. She said Diantha has a son. I told her I was afraid it was not so but she said Brother [Samuel] Pond had received a letter. I went over to Pond's and he read that she had a fine fat boy on the 30th ult. but she was very sick with ague and mumps. Truly I feel to rejoice at this intelligence but feel sorry to hear of her sickness. Spent the day chiefly reading. In the afternoon President Young came over and found some fault about our wagons &c. In the evening the band played and after we dismissed the following persons retired to my tent to have a social christening viz. W[illiam] Pitt, [J. F.] Hutchinson, [James] Smithies, [John] Kay, [Howard] Egan, [Edward P.] Duzett, [Jackson] Redding, W[illia]m F. Cahoon, James Clayton and Charles A. Terry and myself. We had a very pleasant time playing and singing til about 12 o'clock and drank health to my son and named him William Adriel Benoni Clayton. The weather has been fine but rains a little tonight. Henry Terrys horses are missing and have been hunted today but not found. This morning I composed a new song, "All is well."15 I feel to thank my heavenly father for my boy and pray that he will spare and preserve his life and that of his mother and so order it so that we may soon meet again. O Lord bless thine handmaid and fill her with thy spirit, make her healthy that her life may be prolonged and that we may live upon the earth and honor the cause of truth. In the evening I asked the President if he would not suffer me to send for Diantha. He consented and said we would send when we got to Grand River.

[George D. Smith, An Intimate Chronicle; The Journals of William Clayton, Signature Books in association with Smith Research Associates, Salt Lake City, 1995, http://amzn.to/william-clayton]

No comments:

Post a Comment