Mormon History, Apr 19, 1846

[Brigham Young Discourse] President Young arose and said that he could say that he was for the privileges of meeting together such a privilege we have not had since we started on account of the inclemency of the weather. I know it is good for saints to meet and remind each other of their past experience and when we commence our journey again we shall hold meetings on every Sabbath day, yet I must say that I never experience a sweeter spirit in my life then what I have since we started. I have seen things that I did not like but to get angry I have not. But to throw so large a body of people together as this I doubt very much, whether they would do as well, still when I see this people taking the course that will finally destroy themselves, it causes me to rise up in the strength of the lord, and admonish them using the authority of the priesthood. Still I will not find fault with any person, the pioneers, the guard and the people that have come to help us and has left their families back have all done the very best that they could, still had they understood the order of the kingdom of god they might have done better, we will call out those that are to cross the mountains and we will take the public teams and bad them with church property. and no longer suffer our hands and feet to be fettered as they have been, in smuggling the teams that were to be converted to use of the church. I will order in the name of the lord and my council shall be obeyed, we will take the church on grand river and there locate them, that such as cannot go over the mountain and then let them put in crops and build wagons and move from tavern to tavern even to the Missouri river where they can winter their stock, and some start on next spring and so on as their circumstances will admit, that is when we find the spot and welcome the saints and nations to gather but if you all hang on us and will not hearken to council then you will blow us to the four winds. I have a mind to take a vote of the whole camp, which was unanimous, Now we had a council yesterday but I want us so situated that all the camp together, that they may all have the benefit of council, many things are yet to be taught but I will let the brethren speak'- I have one thing more to say to those that will go over the mountain, that they may expect to be allowanced, to one half pounds of bread stuff to each person, will you murmur at this brethren, if you do say it now, I know that some person will not eat then they are hungry, they will not eat unless they can get a whole loaf. I can subsist on half pound flour for 24 hours and those that will not follow council stay here, my own family must stay here, unless they are willing to endure what I suffer, their provisions must be put under lock and key and dealt out by a commissary for there are men in this camp that would not only be driven by hungry to brake open provision chest but would mutinize could they only get the stronger part in their favor, they would damn god and men for the straitened circumstances in which they were brought in. Don't be discouraged should be troubled with disease, for I tell you it will be salvation to this people, it will carry off the poisonous filth that they have eat, drank and inhaled from exposure but I say that if this people will hearken to council they will have good health, your health will improve from this time forth and before we get to the pass of the mountains that women that cannot walk one mile now can then walk twenty miles a day. There is Dr. Richards the historian that has to be poulticed all over, will then skip like a boy with his gun on his shoulder running after deer elk and buffalo. -- Pleasant Point, Iowa [John D. Lee Journals (LDS Church Reporter, 1845-47), Leonard J. Arrington Papers, Special Collections, Merrill-Cazier Library, Utah State University, Logan.. (A reference reading LJA 12-55-5, 10, means LJA Series 12, Box 55, Folder 5, page 10.); Archives, Church History Library, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Salt Lake City, Utah..]

[source: The Complete Discourses of Brigham Young, Ed. Richard S. Van Wagoner, Smith-Pettit Foundation, Salt Lake City (2009)]
[The Complete Discourses of Brigham Young, Ed. Richard S. Van Wagoner, Smith-Pettit Foundation, Salt Lake City (2009)]

No comments:

Post a Comment