Mormon History, Apr 26, 1846. Sunday.

[William Clayton Journal] The first news I heard this morning was that the horse was dead. This is a very unlucky circumstance for me for I am already very deficient of teams. Moreover 3 of my teams leave me here, viz. [] Horlick, Charles A. Terry and [] Jones with their wagons and teams. I shall then have about quarter team enough to draw the loads. I have about 3000 lbs of church property besides my own goods. I see little prospect of my moving from here at present. The morning is wet but about 9 1/2 o'clock it cleared off and continued so all day. I spent the day reading and writing while the rest went to meeting. Evening was sent for to Council. Read a letter from O[rson] Hyde stating that they had an offer of two hundred thousand dollars for the Temple. He writes very hard times in Nauvoo. The council selected 100 men to make rails, 48 to build houses; 12 to dig wells 10 to build a bridge and the rest to go to farming.
S[tephen] Markham, C[harles] C. Rich, L[ewis D.] Wilson, James Pace to oversee the rail cutting. B. Young, H. C. Kimball, P. P. Pratt and [John] Smith the house building. A[lbert] P. Rockwood to boss bridge building. President Young to boss him and the whole camp and Jacob Peart to Boss well digging. The council decided to wait till morning to decide relative to selling the Temple. After we adjourned I went into my wagon. I wrote a long letter to Diantha. It was about 1 o'clock when I got through.

[source: George D. Smith, An Intimate Chronicle; The Journals of William Clayton, Signature Books in association with Smith Research Associates, Salt Lake City, 1995, http://amzn.to/william-clayton]

No comments:

Post a Comment