Mormon History, Dec 26, 1844

-- Dec 26, 1844
In "A Voice From the Prophet. 'Come to Me,'" recently-slain Joseph Smith beckons Latter-day Saints to join him in heaven (compsed by William W. Phelps for the dedication of the Seventies Hall at Nauvoo where they were sung by a choir on the day after Christmas, 1844)

Come to me, here are Adam and Eve at the head

Of a multitude quicken'd and rais'd from the dead:

Here's the knowledge that was, or that is, or will be

In the gen'ral assembly of worlds: Come to me.

Come to me; here's the myst'ry that man hath not seen;

Here's our Father in heaven, and Mother, the Queen,

Here are worlds that have been, and the worlds yet to be,

Here's eternity,—endless; amen: Come to me.

(1)

-- 27 [Dec 1844]
[Brigham Young Journal] Went to the Hall afterwards in the afternoon went to Bro J. D. Lee and in the Evening assembled at the Seventies Hall with the High Council City Council and the officers of the Nauvoo Legion (2)

-- Dec 27, 1844. Friday.
[William Clayton Journal] ...After meeting I asked Brother [Winslow] Farr if he had come to a conclusion and he gave assent to my request and seemed to feel well. (3)

-- 28 [Dec 1844]
[Brigham Young Journal] & 29 - Was at Bro Evens Ward (2)

-- Decr 28th 1844
[High Council Minutes]

The High Council of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, met at the dwelling house of Councellor H.G. Sherwood, and opened by prayer from Councellor Wm Huntington and organ[illegible] for business.

Saml Bent Jas. Allred

Lewis D. Wilson Jacob Morris, in place of A. Cutler

David Fulmer Geo W. Harris

Thos Grover Aaron Johnson

Newel Kinght Wm Huntington

Phineas Richards for E.T. Benson H.G. Sherwood

President Chas C. Rich Chairman Presiding.

Voted unanimously that Samuel Music has no fellowship with the church, and that notice hereof be given in the "Times and Seasons."

Charges were prefered by Elder Myron Higley against Elder Daniel Botsford and Nancy his wife for sundry unchristian like conduct committed in N. York such as fraud, falsehoods, oppositions to the Principle of Gathering &c. whereupon it was unanimously, Voted, firstly, that Elder Daniel Botsford and Nancy his wife be cut off from the Church, and published in the "Times and Seasons."

Secondly that Councellor H. G. Sherwood idit said matter for publication.

Voted to adjourn till next Saturday, to meet at one o'clock P.M. in the Seventie's Hall.

C.C. Pendleton Clerk. (4)

-- 30- [Dec 1844]
[Brigham Young Journal] at home (2)

-- About Dec 30, 1844
[Wilford Woodruff] ... Joseph Smith visited me a great deal after his death, and taught me many important principles. The last time he visited me was going on my last mission to preside in England. My companions were Brother Leonard W. Hardy, Brother Milton Holmes, Brother Dan Jones, and another brother, and my wife and two other women. ...

We had been traveling three days and nights in a heavy gale, and were being driven backwards. Finally I asked my companions to come into the cabin with me, and I told them to pray that the Lord would change the wind. I had no fears of being lost; but I did not like the idea of being driven back to New York, as I wanted to go on my journey. We all offered the same prayer, both men and women; and when we got through we stepped on to the deck and in less than a minute it was as though a man had taken a sword and cut that gale through, and you might have thrown a muslin handkerchief out and it would not have moved it.

... Joseph and Hyrum visited me, and the Prophet laid before me a great many things. Among other things, he told me to get the Spirit of God; that all of us needed it. He also told me what the Twelve Apostles would be called to go through on the earth before the coming of the Son of Man, and what the reward of their labors would be; but all that was taken from me, for some reason. Nevertheless I know it was most glorious, although much would be required at our hands.

Joseph Smith continued visiting myself and others up to a certain time, and then it stopped. The last time I saw him was in heaven. In the night vision I saw him at the door of the temple in heaven. He came and spoke to me. He said he could not stop to talk with me because he was in a hurry. The next man I met was Father Smith; he could not talk with me because he was in a hurry. I met half a dozen brethren who had held high positions on earth, and none of them could could stop to talk with me because they were in a hurry. I was much astonished.

By and by I saw the Prophet again, and I got the privilege to ask him a question, "Now," said I, "I want to know why you are in a hurry. I have been in a hurry all through my life; but I expected my hurry would be over when I got into the kingdom of heaven, if I ever did."

Joseph said:

I will tell you, Brother Woodruff. Every dispensation that has had the Priesthood on the earth and has gone into the celestial kingdom, has had a certain amount of work to do to prepare to go to the earth with the Savior when He goes to reign on the earth. Each dispensation has had ample time to do this work. We have not. We are the last dispensation, and so much work has to be done, and we need to be in a hurry in order to accomplish it.

Of couse, that was satisfactory to me, but it was new doctrine to me. (5)


Footnotes:
1 - Grunder, Rick, Mormon Parallels: A Bibliographic Source
2 - Brigham Young Journal # 4 in the handwriting of: William Clayton, Evan Greene, John D. Lee, Willard Richards. First person account kept by others. 'Lieut. Genl Brigham Young's Journal 1844'
3 - George D. Smith, An Intimate Chronicle; The Journals of William Clayton, Signature Books in association with Smith Research Associates, Salt Lake City, 1995, http://amzn.to/william-clayton
4 - Minutes of the High Council of the Church of Jesus Christ of Nauvoo Illinois: Nauvoo Hancock County Illinois, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies
5 - Wilford Woodruff Dreams and Visions, Saints Without Halos, Scott Kenny (http://saintswithouthalos.com/n/dreams_ww.phtml)


LDS History Timeline
About this site: http://bit.ly/mhist

No comments:

Post a Comment