Mormon History, Mar 18, 1846

[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 18th I Arose. Found the sun shining ples-ant. I went below. Found Father ready for Breakfast. It is his birth Day. EZRA CARTER sen is {73} years old this day. He informed me that he had meditated much upon the subject of being baptized by me before I left but it was A vary Cold day the snow over the ground And water frooze over And he Could not get an evidence that it was his duty then And thought it best to omit it. So I thought it best to continue my Journey as I was so late in the season.
Father Carter walked with me to see Mother Carters grave. We walked on top of the snow crust but found the grave bare. Father Carter Pointed to the ground beside her grave And said that place will soon be my bed. I plucked some Pebbles from Mother Carters grave to take to Phebe.
I then returned to the house. Bought some calf Skin And Father Carter made Phebe A Present of one which I took with me. I took some of Father Carters Hair And the rest of the family except Mothers Carters And there was none of hers Saved. I think Mary fails.
Father & sister Foss then assisted me to Pack up such things of Mothers as was designed for Phebe. One of the dresses that Phebe wanted fell to Sister Foss which she sent to Phebe for which she wants Phebe to write back for her to have her part of the crockery that is left.
I slept in there east chamber through the night for the last time I bid farewell to Fayban And Rhoda And Mary And the Children Also John Fabyan And Mary And All that family. I then in company with Sister Foss rode through the lane blocked up with snow on each side on to her house. And Father Carter walked And He got there first. He wanted to stay with me untill I went so we Packed up all of little Phebes things And Paid her Bill which was as follows: ...
I then took the parting hand with Phebe And Ira Foss the ownly Children of that family I saw. I Also took the last Parting band And bid fare well to our Hon Aged Father Carter who seemed much Affected And wept. He sent his best Parental love to Phebe And wished me to say to her that He was A full believer in the book of Mormon And faith of the latter Day Saints And as soon as he sees his way Clear will endeavor to be baptized. Spoke of Milton Holmes Calling in the Spring to baptize him. He was satisfied with our going to Calafornia And with the Course we are persuing. And He wished me to say to Luther And Rhoda that if they would go with us He would never complain about it but thought it best for them to do so.
I then took little Phebe who was clothed warm into sister Foss Slay And in company with Sister Foss rode to Saco. Bought Phebe A pair of Shoes And as I Had given Br Fabyan A new silk Hendkerchief I also gave sister Foss one that I had with me. I was much interest in my visit with sister Foss. I found her in good faith And a great desire to gather with us and live with the Saints. She Carried me to the depo. We there took the parting hand And little Phebe And myself started on the rail road.
After riding a while Phebe looks around and says whare is my Mother? I asked her which one. She said the one that come with you & I told her she had gone back. She said that was to bad to leave her alone but she seemed to enjoy the journey well to Boston though she fell asleep And had a long nap.
On the arival of the Cars I called upon Br S.P. Davis No 4 Oxford Place And spent the night. I was treated well. I am weary being so drove daily. As I went to lie down Phebe says whare is my Mother? I want to lie with her. But we both had a good nights rest. Distance from Saco to Boston 90 mile.

[source: Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies]

No comments:

Post a Comment