Mormon History, Mar 1, 1846

[Hosea Stout Diary] Sunday March 1st 1846. At ten a council was called again at which instructions were given for the camp to be ready to start immediately to the next camp up sugar Creek about 4 miles on a strait line. After the council I went and made preperations to start and also gave orders to the guards to do likewise
About one all being ready and waiting for the Twelve (who were detained because some of their men & horses were in Nauvoo visiting)I gave orders for all the ox teams to move on and for the horse team to wait the motion of the Twelve[.] I should have said also that the men tarried. We waited accordingly untill four oclock and the families becoming very impatient in waiting I permitted all the teams who had them in to also go on & encamp while we yet tarried
President B. Young was now ready to move and only waiting the return of his men & horses from the City[.] It was a beautiful fine clear warm day and great numbers of the brethren & Sisters came to the camp visiting, About an hour by Sun, the men & horses returning from Nauvoo[.] President Young was ready to start & we all set out on our journey leaving Elder John Taylor behind who was not yet ready to start. We had a good road on the dividing ridge between Sugar Creek and the Des Moines.I left in camp four companies behind amounting in all to men Sufficient to guard themselves against any emergency which might occur to wit Capt Gully & Dillie because they had not teams sufficient to move with and Capt L. H. Calkins because one of his horses was in Nauvoo and Capt O. M. Allen to Strengthen them in case any thing should happen & they be molested.The road as we went was about six miles.We arrived at the camp about the last dawn of day without any thing material transpiring.I found my tent piched on a ridge in the edge of the prairie in a very inhospitable place and the guard also placed as near me as was convenient but my family was as comfortable as could be expected. The main camp was down in the low ground in the timber to get to which from where we were was a very steep and dangerous hill to go down in the dark.After super I went to a council at the tent of President B. Young wherein it was determined to move on tomorrow to the next camp four miles above Farmington at which place Bishop Miller had taken a job of work and was there doing it.At this place there was also some men at work making rails.After returning from council I made arraingements to send back after those companies which I had left back at Sugar Creek camp to day.accordingly I detailed Capt Duncan Mc[.] Arthur with his fifty to stay and bring them up to this place & I would leave some one else to assist in like manner at the next camp if circumstances permited after which I retired to rest at about half past eleven oclock at night.

[source: Diaries of Hosea Stout]

No comments:

Post a Comment