Mormon History, Mar 4, 1846

[Hosea Stout Diary] Wednesday March 4th 1846. Earley this morning I sent the yoke of oxen to Gully & Dillie as decided last night. The wether was very clear and warm.At nine a meeting was called and instructions given by President Young in relation to our further move.Capt Samuel gulley came in camp in advance of his company and had exchanged his horse for oxen which I was very glad to hear as I supposed that it would enable them to proceed on with[out] being further delayed.He seemed well pleased with the arraingements I had made relative to his company but did not meet the oxen I had sent to his relief or if he did he knew not where they were going.To day a man by the name Giles Wells came in camp who was an old school mate of J. D. Huntr who introduced me to him as Col Wells.He was intelligent and despised Sectarians, was a Deist in principal, friendly and was willing for us to enjoy our opinions & let us alone.I also saw a Mr Lundy who I once knew in Tazewell County Illinois when I was a boy he seemed glad to see me.made himself known to me, but seemed to care nothing about whether we were right or not in our principals[.] His capacity was but ordinary
Several of our company traded their horses for oxen today.
About noon I called out the guard & spoke to them at considerable length on the policy of working our way and thus relieve the Church from the expense of supporting us when we were not traveling and also on the prospects of our further move to which all agreed. Immediately after the meeting Charles Allen Capt of the third fifty called his men together with out my knowledge and delivered an inflammatory speech against what I had said and declared that he would not work neither would he recieve orders from me but go himself to the President and there recieve his orders and more things said he against the course I had pursued knowing at the same time that I was acting in due subordination to the proper authorities
Some drank into his spirit. He even took a vote of the company whether he should go to Brigham or not and they all voted that he should go.Some to sustain & others to see what he would effect & they came to me and informed me what was going on and desired to know what to do[.] There was but a few in favor of him[.] But more of him hereafter as he will most surely be guilty of yet more insubordinate acts if he does not speedily turn to his duty.
This evening I concluded that as the companies were now generally less that their full number to disband some and fill up the rest with their men.
Capt Wilber J. Earl came to me and desired to resign as he said that he could not attend to the duties of the company and see to his wife. I excepted his resignation and ordered Capt Jones his Capt of Fifty to regulate it accordingly.Capt Earl was dissatisfied all the way with his company and often wished to give it up.About dark I called out all the Captains and there had a general council on the propriety of thus disbanding some of the companies to fill up the rest and also spoke to them on the propriety of the thing which I had taught to day to which they all acknowledged to be right and Capt. C. Allen also suported me[.] They unanimously agreed to cast lots who should resign.The lots to resign fell on Chandler Rogers Capt of the 1st fifty for we intended to lessen our fifty also Capt. Allen J. Stout[.] Thomas Woolsey, L. H. Calkins all on whom the lot fell seemed perfectly satisfied.
I then told them all to remain as they were untill they could be disposed of without confusion. While the business of casting lots were going on I recieved orders to appear forthwith at head quarters[.] I went and was there ordered to have the guard ready to be divided into four divisions as it was decided to have the camp move in four Companies and a portion of the guard in each company and also was notified to to be ready to start in the morning with the part of the guard which was to accompany the first company which entirely destroyed or done away the necessity of reducing the guard to three companies of fifty so I came home and notified the captains that that had been done was null & void and also of the arraingements of the camp and for them to govern themselves accordingly.I then wrote in my journal till Eleven oclock.

[source: Diaries of Hosea Stout]

No comments:

Post a Comment