Mormon History, Jul 17, 1849

[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 17 I arose this morning vary lame from yesterdays walk. I have 15 miles to reach St Johns. I walked one mile & found A Merchant Mr Beaty who gave me a ride with him into the City of St Johns which I Considerd A great Blessings. I found St John to be A plesant business place esspecially for Mills & Lumber. The whole face of the Earth that I saw from Fox Islands to St Johns was vary rocky barren & rough, timber mostly spruice & ceder.
A few days before I arived at St Johns the Orange men of that City had a walk. Were attacked by the Catholicks. A fight ensued. 20 or so were killed & many wounded. I went onto the seene of Action. Saw the ball & shot Holes in the doors & windows & buildings as we passed along. This was in the edge of the burnt district. There has been some vary destructive fires in that City.
I spent 2 Hours here then went to Indian town. Went on board of the Forest Queen steemer bound for Frederickton 90 miles up the St Johns River. It was quite A rainy windy Afternoon yet I walked the Herricane deck to view the Country. For the seene had now Change from A vary rough Country to A delightful plesant one. For the whole Country for several miles each side of the river from St Johns to Frederickton was in a high state of cultivation & settelled. More resembled the farms of Illinois then the barren Hilly, rocky Country which I have before visited in the Colonies. I never saw 90 miles on the bank of any river more beautifully Cultivated or plesantly located than the St Johns River. It is quite A stream for fish. I saw the Salmon & Sturgeon jumping out of water as we went up the river.
We arived at Frederickton at 8 oclok. I put up at the temperance Hotel in York street. Distance of the day 115 miles.

[source: Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies]

No comments:

Post a Comment