Mormon History, Jul 21, 1849

[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 21st I find myself this morning sitting in the open stage with the Horses runing down all the Hills at full speed with the driver snoreing & fast asleep And continued untill sun was two hours high. We came within a foot of running the waggon off a precepice 30 feet deep which would have dashed us to peases among the rocks. The driver awoke & when He saw the danger He had run he turned pale but was soon asleep again. We continued Journeying in this way for 100 miles & arived at the ferry of the Beau-baurs Island whare we arived at 10 oclock whare I left the Stage feeling vary thankful that my bones were whole & my life preserved.
I crossed the ferry to the Island. Walked one mile through A plesant grove to the House of Elder Joseph Russels. I found Him at home & we had A Happy Greeting indeed. I was thankful to strike Hands with & to see a latter Day Saint after travelling two weeks without seeing any Saints. I found Sister Russell also a vary kind sister & Mother. After visiting his ship yard & looking about I went to bed & had a good nights sleep. Distance from Frederick to Miramichi 100 m.

[source: Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies]

No comments:

Post a Comment