Mormon History, Aug 5, 1849

[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 5th Sunday A Hard rainy morning. I took the parting hand this Morning with Brother Joseph Russell. He is truly A man of faith & great kindness. We have had an interesting time to gether. When we parted He gave me A suit of New Clothes & other presents paid all my expenses while together & gave me money to help me home. May the Lord bless him & reward him fourfold.
I took the open stage & rode to the bend. Both Shedice & the bend are small villages. The ownly busines ther seems to be going on in this region of country for many miles is getting out [Hetmatee?] knees to send to Boston & New York for building ships in the states but they are making a great mistake in this thing in the commencement of the trade by cutting them in the summer season instead of fall or winter. For those Cut in the summer season will not keep over three years for in that time all the gum will work out & dry rot will follow & they become as light as A Cork. And any ship or Steem boat will be ruined whare they are used, while those Cut from Sept to March will last 40 or more years, retain the gum & be sound. This is important information which I recieved from Joseph Russell who in 20 years has built over 40 ships over 600 ton burthan. I spent the night at an Inn at the bend. 15.

[source: Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies]

No comments:

Post a Comment