Mormon History, Oct 30, 1847

[Hosea Stout Diary] Saturday Oct. 30th 1847. Clear & warm â€" wind still South[.] Went to the Horne & crossed at the Ford and went to the old road put up in the timber. Here we were met by Butler Whitney & some 14 teams a large company of brethren who brought several loads of corn provisions groceries victuals cooked[.] Whiskey & in short all that we needed. A very large supply was sent to my company by my wife & some others sufficient I suppose to do us two weeks.
We had a most joyful meeting and a very happy time[.] Many of the pioneers had subsisted on buffalo meat entirely for months and when this supply came they hardly knew when to quit eating. It was a perfect feast & I enjoyed myself uncommonly well & we wer up till late.

[source: Diaries of Hosea Stout]

No comments:

Post a Comment