Mormon History, Oct 21, 1847. Thursday.

[William Clayton Journal] This morning Brother [William] Empey, [Lisbon] Lamb and myself started early accompanied by 6 horsemen and arrived in Winter Quarters a little before noon. I found my family all well except Moroni who is very sick and his mother is some sick. Their circumstances are not good, but in other respects they have been prospered for which I thank my God. There has been much sickness here and many deaths during the fall, and many are now suffering for lack of some of the comforts of life. We have been prospered on our journey home and have arrived in 9 weeks and 3 days, including a week's delay waiting for the Twelve and killing buffalo. Our health has been remarkably good, but we have lacked provisions, many of us having nothing but dry buffalo meat. I have succeeded in measuring the whole distance from the City of the Great Salt Lake to this place except a few miles between Horse Creek and the A La Bonte river which was taken from the measurement going up. I find the whole distance to be 1032 miles and am now prepared to make a complete travelers guide from here to the Salt Lake, having been careful in taking the distance from creek to creek, over bluffs, mountains &c. It has required much time and care and I have continually labored under disadvantages in consequence of the companys feeling no interest in it. The health of my family has encouraged me for all that is past and my secret gratitude shall ascend to Heaven for the unbounded kindness and mercies which the Almighty has continually poured upon them in my absence.

[source: George D. Smith, An Intimate Chronicle; The Journals of William Clayton, Signature Books in association with Smith Research Associates, Salt Lake City, 1995, http://amzn.to/william-clayton]

No comments:

Post a Comment