Mormon History, Oct 15, 1843

-- Oct 15, 1843
[Joseph Smith Diary] Sunday, October 15th 1843 11 A.M. Cool, calm, [and] cloudy. Stand [erected at the] east end of the Temple. Singing. Prayer by P[arley] P. Pratt. Joseph preached: "It is one of the first principles of my life and one that I have cultivated from my childhood, having been taught it of my father, to allow every one the liberty of conscience.

"I am the greatest advocate of the C[onstitution] of [the] U[nited] S[tates] there is on the earth. In my feeling /the/ only fault I find with it is, it is not broad enough to cover the whole ground.

"I cannot believe in any of the creeds of the different denominations because they all have some things in them I cannot subscribe to, though all of them have some thruth [truth]. I want to come up into the presence of God and learn all things, but the creeds set up stakes and say hitherto shalt thou come and no further, which I cannot subscribe to.

"I believe the Bible, as it ought to be, as it came from the pen of the original writers. As it read[s] it repented the Lord that he had made man. And also, God is /not/ a man that he should repent, which I do not believe. But it repented Noah that God made man. This I believe and then the other quotation stands fair.

"If any man will prove to me by one passage of Holy Writ one item I believe to be false I will renounce it [and] disclaim it far as I have promulgated it. The first principles of the gospel as I believe [are:] first Faith, [second] Repentance, [and third] Baptism for the remission of sins with the promise of the Holy Ghost.

"Heb[rews] 6th [contains a] Contradiction 'Leaving the principle of the doctrine of Christ.' If a man leave[s] the principle of the doctrine of C[hrist] how can he be saved in the principle? A contridiction. I don't believe it. I will render it 'Therefore not leaving the P[rinciple] of the doctrine of Christ &c.'

"Resurrection of the dead and eternal judgment. [It is] one thing to see the Kingdom and another to be in it. [We] Must have a change of heart to see the kingdom of God and subscribe [to] the articles of adoption to enter therein.

"No man can /not/ receive the Holy Ghost without receiving revelations. The H[oly] G[host] is a revelator.

"I prophecy in the name of the Lord God [that] anguish and wrath and trembulity [trembling] and tribulation and the withdrawing of the spirit of God await this generation until they are visited with utter destruction. This generation is as corrupt as the generation of the Jews that crucified Christ and if he were here to day and should preach the same doctrine he did then, why they would crucify him. I defy all the world and I prophecy they will never overthrow me till I get ready.

"On the economy of this city, I think there is to[o] many merchants among you. More wool and raw materials and [less manufactured goods. Let] the money be brought here to pay the poor for manufacturing. Set our women to work and stop this spinning [of] street yarn and talking about spiritual wives. Send out /your money/ in the country, get grain, cattle, flax, &c.

"I proclaim in the name of the Lord God that I will have nothing but virtue and integripity [integrity] and uprightness. We cannot build up a city on merchandize. I would not run after the merchants, I would sow a little flax if I had but a garden and lot.

"The Temporal economy of this people should be to establish manufactoring and not to take usury for his money. I do not want to bind the poor here and [see them] starve. Go out in the count[r]y and get food and /in/ cities and gird up your loins and be sober. When you get food return if you have a mind to. /Some say,/ "It is better to give [to] the poor than [give funds to] build the Temple." The building of the Temple has kept the poor who were driven from Missouri from starving. As has been the best means for the object which could be devised.

"All ye rich men of the Latter Day Saints from abroad I would invite [them] to bring up some of their money /and give to the Temple/. We want Iron, steel, powders, &c. A good plan to get up a forge, bring in raw materials and manu[f]act[ur]ing establishments of all kinds and surround the rapids.

"I never stole the value of a pin's head or a picayune in my life. When you are hungry don't steal, come to me and I will feed you.

"The secrets of masonry is to keep a secret. It is good economy to entertain a stranger, to entertain sectarians. Come up ye sectarian priests of the everlasting gospel, as they call it and they shall have my pulpit all day.

"Wo to ye rich men. Give to the poor and then come and ask me for bread. Away with all your meanness and be liberal. We need purging, purifying, and cleansing. You have little faith in your Elders. Get some little simple remedy in the first stages. If you send for a D[octo]r at all send in the first stages.

"All ye D[octo]rs who are fools, not well read, [and] do not understand the human constitution stop your practice.

"Lawyers who have no business only as you hatch [it] up, would to God you would go to work or run away."

1/2 past 2. Closed. (1)

[Joseph Smith Sermon] Meeting 1/2 Joseph P [reached]. 3 1/4 economy of Nauvoo. [Willard Richards Diary] (2)

-- 1843: 16 October
[Patriarchal Blessings] Ann Elisa DeLong. (Given by Hyrum Smith.)

"I lay my hands upon your head, in the name of Jesus of Nazareth, and place a seal and blessing upon your head according to the mind of the Spirit, which is to come to pass hereafter. Behold, thou art Ann Eliza. This is the name by which you are called, and is the name by which you will be called when it shall be said, 'Come ye blessed, enter into the kingdom, and to the rest that is prepared from before the foundation of the world.' For as a daughter of Abraham, thou shalt be blest, not withstanding the day of purification, and the day of choosing. Nevertheless, thou wilt be saved, for, if there is error there shall be an understanding given, and from weakness thou shalt be made strong. And if there should be murmurings, a knowledge of doctrine shall be given, and the truth shall have due and proper influence upon your mind, until the mysteries of God are revealed. And ye shall enter into its blessings in its fullness even of your fathers Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob and recei
ve your inheritance in Mount Zion upon this Celestial Orb. And if there be tribulations and afflictions, they shall be subdued and overcome, and you shall be blessed in your house, and in your habitations, and your evocations of life, in your possessions and tenements and in the spirit and power and knowledge wherein you shall be endowed with power, as far as ministrations and priesthood was ordained to be given unto man, and unto their help mate, for unto this end was you borne of, came you into the world. And in due time cometh all these blessings, which you do not now comprehend, but you shall know them and appreciate them, and again, there are blessings to be received in common with your husband, which filleth up the intermediate spaces of the days of your probation, and then shall be a blessing to rest upon your posterity. And by then shall your name be perpetuated from generation to generation as also to be written in the archives and chronicles of your brethren, to be
handed down in honorable remembrance until the latest generation. And as to the tribe of your lineage wherein you have lineal descents, it is in the lineage and tribe of Manasseh. But as to your inheritance it is in the lineage upon whom is the seal of the covenant, whereby the seal is on earth to be sealed in Heaven, and your coming forth shall be in the morning of the first resurrection, that you may possess thrones and mansions, that is prepared. And as to your days and years, they are numbered and shall be many. These blessings I seal upon your head even so AMEN." (From typescript; LDS Archives.) [Age, 24; Scribe, Howard Coray.] (3)


Footnotes:
1 - Faulring, Scott (ed.), An American Prophet's Record: The Diaries and Journals of Joseph Smith: Joseph Smith Diary, 1843-44, http://amzn.to/jsdiaries
2 - The Words of Joseph Smith by Joseph Smith by Andrew F. Ehat and Lyndon W. Cook
3 - Selected LDS Patriarchal Blessings, New Mormon Studies CD ROM, Signature Book, 2009, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies


LDS History Timeline
About this site: http://bit.ly/mhist

No comments:

Post a Comment