Mormon History, Nov 2, 1843

-- Nov 2, 1843
[Joseph Smith Diary] Thursday, November 2d [several lines left blank] Joseph, Hyrum, [Brigham] Young, [Heber C.] Kimball, [John] Taylor, and [William] Clayton had council at 10. Agreed to write a letter to the 5 Candidates for the [U.S.] Presidency to enquire what their feeling[s] were or what their course would be towards the Saints if they were elected. (1)

[Lucy Mack Smith] Joseph has Brigham Young seal him to Brigham's fifty-six-year-old twice-widowed sister, Fanny Young Carr Murray. She is the stepmother of Heber C. Kimball's wife Vilate and apparently Joseph's last-married plural wife. (2)

Brigham Young is sealed to his second and third plural wives, August Adams and Harriett Elizabeth Cook. (3)

Joseph Smith is sealed in a plural marriage to Fanny Young. It is his last plural marriage sealing. (3)

-- Nov 02, 1843
Brigham Young reported the marriage of his sister to Joseph Smith in the Journal of Discourse: "I recollect a sister conversing with Joseph Smith on this subject [of plural marriage]. Joseph said, 'Sister, you talk very foolishly, you do not know what you will want.' He then said to me [B.Y.]: 'Here, brother Brigham you seal this lady to me.' I sealed her to him. This was my own sister according to the flesh." (Journal of Discourses, vol. 16, pg. 166-167). Marriage - Joseph to Fanny Young Murray, age 56, already married . Fanny was already married to a living husband, Roswell Murray. SOURCE: FamilySearch.net record for Joseph Smith Jr. (4)

Young's30 Oct diary states: "Monday evening Baptized Sisters Cuoub [Cobb] & Hari[e]tt Cook. " Two days later, 2 Nov, Smith marries these two women to Young. Smith marries two women to Brigham Young . PLACE: Nauvoo, IL SOURCE: Brigham Young Diary, 30 Oct 1843 (4)

-- Nov 3, 1843
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 3d Left freight at Hamilton & quincy. I stoped at quincy & bought a saw $1.50 sundries $2.00. Left freight at Warsaw & keokuck. Took lighters to go over the rapids. I went upon the keel & Arived at Nashville & I spent the night with Br Asahel Smith & was glad to see any of the Saints again. Had two hard characters to contend against who were opposing the fulness of the gospel. I bore testimony to them of the truth of the work. (5)

-- Nov 3, 1843 (Friday)
Knowlton F. Hanks, one of the missionaries to the Pacific Islands, died. He was the first Latter-day Saint Elder who died and was buried at sea. (6)

-- Nov 03, 1843
On a mission to the Pacific Islands, Knowlton F. Hanks passes away at sea, becoming the first Latter-day Saint missionary buried at sea. (7)

-- Nov 3, 1843
[Joseph Smith] Knowleton F. Hanks becomes the first Mormon missionary to be buried at sea. (8)

-- Nov 4, 1843
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 4th Steem Boat arived in the morning. Took their freight out of the lighters into the steem Boat & went to Montrose. Stoped several hours & crossed to the landing at the upper Stone house in Nauvoo & the Lord knows if ever a soul was thankful to tread the soil of Nauvoo it was myself. I felt liberated as from a prision. I found Br Elias Smith on the shore ready to receive me & also other which I was glad to see.

I had to Pay $3 for Elder Rushton to get his goods on shore & I had to Pay 2 1/2 cts more on a hundred for freight than the agreement in consequence of the sermon Preached by Elder Rushton. But I got all my goods on shore safe & 4 teams loaded down accompanied me to the printing office whare I found my wife & children all well except Phebe Amelia who was troubled with the bowel complaint but all looked Cheerful & comfortable. We tumbled our Boxes into the house & I spent the evening with my family. Once more I took pleasure in presenting to my wife & Children some articles of clothing & necessaries which I had brought home. Distance from Pittsburg to Nauvoo 1500 miles. (5)

-- Nov 04, 1843
In an effort to prepare the Saints for the election of 1844, Joseph Smith writes letters to U.S. presidential candidates John C. Calhoun, Lewis Cass, Richard M. Johnson, Henry Clay, and Martin Van Buren concerning their position regarding the Latter-day Saints. (7)

-- November 4th 1843
[High Council Minutes]

Council met according to adjt at J. Smith's store. W. Marks & C.C. Rich Presiding

Present 1) Bent 2) Allred 3) Samuel Williams pro tem. 4) Fulmer 5 Cut 4) Cutler 5) Fulmer 6) Harris 7) Joseph M. Cole protem. 8) Johnson 9) Knight 10) Huntington 11) Soby 12) Sherwood.

Prayer by Aaron Johnson.

Alfonzo Young against John Workman.

Charge

"To William Marks President of the High Council.

I prefer a charge against John Workman for ill treatment, for refusing to pay me what he owed me, when he had the money and could have done so; and I had informed him of the destitute situation of my sick family.

I also charge him with making false statements to my injury. (9)


Footnotes:
1 - Faulring, Scott (ed.), An American Prophet's Record: The Diaries and Journals of Joseph Smith: Joseph Smith Diary, 1843-44, http://amzn.to/jsdiaries
2 - Anderson, Lavina Fielding, Editor, Lucy's Book: A Critical Edition of Lucy Mack Smith's Family Memoir, 2001, Signature Books, http://bit.ly/lucys-book
3 - Hales, Brian C., Joseph Smith's Polygamy: History and Theology, 2 vols., Salt Lake City: Greg Kofford Books, 2011 (www.JosephSmithsPolygamy.com)
4 - Joseph Smith Polygamy Timeline, http://www.i4m.com/think/polygamy/JS_Polygamy_Timeline.htm
5 - Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies
6 - Jenson, Andrew, Church Chronology
7 - The Woodland Institute 'On This Day Historical Database,' http://www.woodlandinstitute.com
8 - Wikipedia, Joseph Smith Chronology, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronology_of_Joseph_Smith,_Jr.
9 - Minutes of the High Council of the Church of Jesus Christ of Nauvoo Illinois: Nauvoo Hancock County Illinois, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies


LDS History Timeline
About this site: http://bit.ly/mhist

No comments:

Post a Comment