Mormon History, Jun 5, 1847

[Hosea Stout Diary] Saturday June 5th 1847. To day the Omahas were to come in & I was ordered to meet them six miles below as they had requested in their letter[.] They came about ten or 11 oclock a. m. about 80 in number comprising all of what they call their chiefs and braves.
We received them as usual formed on horse back according to the Danite system of horsemanship and consequently I was in the center of the line
The chiefs were told who I was by those who knew me to be a war chief or captain & they all came to shake hands with me first.
I left some most of the company there to keep a look out & took 3 or four in with me & accompanied the Indians into town[.] They came to the South point of the first ridge West of the city and encamped. Here they had a commanding view of the town & the town had also a commandin view of the Omahas.
There was a council held with them towards evening wherein all thing mentioned & promised by Young Elk was fully confirmed by "Old Elk" and all present and the best of feeling seemed to exhist between us.
Some beef was given them for their supper.
I was up untill 11 oclock P. M. arrainging the guard which now to be stronger than common because of the Indians. Old & Young Elk & Harvey took dinner with me

[source: Diaries of Hosea Stout]

No comments:

Post a Comment