Mormon History, Jun 16, 1847

[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 16th About 20 men went down the river to day & dug out two large canoes to cover over to make A ferry boat off to ferry over the large companies of emegrants that have arived & are on the way.
President Young thought it wisdom to leave A number of the brethren here & keep a ferry untill our Company Came up. Emegrants will pay for fer-rying $1.50 cts per waggon. Pay in flour, Cows, Beans &c. Flour at $2.50 per cwt Cows $10. The brethren also made two new rafts & got quite A number of our pioneer waggons over.
I was quite unwell A part of the day with Ague in the face. I walked out however with O. Pratt about 3 miles onto some of the bluffs to view the country. We saw mountains to the North towering into the Clouds. We judged they were not much short of 100 miles from us.
We had our guns with us I Hunted some. I shot one Antelope cut his throat with a bullet & He fell dead in his tracts. Br Pratt Shot at Another but did not get him. This was the first Antelope I ever Killed. I tried to back him into Camp but Could not do it well so I got two men to help me. We had some Heavy squals of wind & some rain in the Afternoon.
In the evening many of us went over the river to tie up our horses & when one Company was Coming back in the leather boat they filled it half full of water & came near sinking.

[source: Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies]

No comments:

Post a Comment