Mormon History, Jun 10, 1847

[Hosea Stout Diary] Thursday June the 10th 1847. Sent out 5 men on guard & I staid in town as there was some business for me to attend to. The publick arms had by the order of the council been ordered into the hands of Prest Cutler and the waggon for Genl Rich to move in West.
I endeavored to find out today what was to be done about the guard for the journey & me going for as yet I could learn nothing accordingly I went to Genl Rich Elder Taylor, Prest Cutler & Morley & Bishop Whitney & could not learn anything about it nor as much as get any of them to talk on the subject to any satisfaction but to refere me to the other. Morley refered me to Rich & he to Taylor, who requested me not to trouble him about it for he said he had never considered it before, and refered me to Cutler & he said he had no time to talk & Whitney knew nothing about it. Thus I was sent around all day and learned nothing & so seeing that there was no arraingement for either me me or a guard on the journey I now give up the idea of going & bought a house of Br A. O. Smoot which was more spacious & comfortable than the one I now occupied. It is situated on [blank] street

[source: Diaries of Hosea Stout]

No comments:

Post a Comment