Mormon History, Jun 18, 1847

[Brigham Young Sermon] There is a general feeling in this church with regard to the doctrine called spiritual wife doctrine. The Lord is [-] in the last struggle between [-]. God the Father will put forth his hand and conquer a [-] of [-] a godly people. The wicked and rebellious will be swallowed by the earth and the substance will be given to the [-] the [-] of staying at home will carry thousands to the devil. I've done as I was told, there is not a man have twenty to twenty-five but I can get five wives to his one, who gave me that power, I got it by being faithful, there is not a girl etc take all you can get and see what you can do go a preach? that I may gather thousands they want to give? that [-] of [-] they must take what's behind because they have gone? [-] have brought? it in when my train and his train filled the temple, they want to drive and command and tell me its the duty to be sealed to me and then they can come trailing behind you, its your works will follow you to glory or misery - let the word come now, I never was more willing to go than tonight. I'm going right into the world and deal unrightly. I cant do this because I have a wife the Lord will raise up a hold seed. is it right? wait, that's enough for me when a man has proved himself. I say go it, the young elders out to preach 10 or 15 years. Erastus Snow you go strait ahead - he's preached about sixteen years - every man ought to do that to receive confidence - a man who will believe that he will give wrong council - we have confidence if you do the best you can - and all [-] that sin will be washed out. I'm just a man to give council - I am as up and down as any man but don't want to hurt any mans feelings, men forget God what they have denied what they have seen and heard and feel and now to be truth - he'll never be [-] the spirit of God, I could have told a company many things but they did not thing of it, I think of enough but don't want to talk much - we'll have a hall where we can receive and bestow the ordinances - this church has no business to do heal nor do anything of the kind - men go and do what they think I forget, but I don't [-] judgment is mine etc and he'll take his time for it - when the prophet says go and heal then its right - I never [-] from my birth to this time but when the time comes I shall be on hand if we take a judicious course and be ready for judgment hell cant prevail against us, some would chastise worse, are self righteous, I believe the tares and wheat ought to grow together. I thank the Lord there is a devil, we cannot get on without one. -- Greasewood Creek, Wyoming [Thomas Bullock Minutes, LJA; Thomas Bullock—LDS Church Reporter, 1844-56.C, Archives, Church History Library, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Salt Lake City, Utah.; GCM, Archives, Church History Library, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Salt Lake City, Utah..; Leonard J. Arrington Papers, Special Collections, Merrill-Cazier Library, Utah State University, Logan.. (A reference reading LJA 12-55-5, 10, means LJA Series 12, Box 55, Folder 5, page 10.) 9-12-3, 34-35]

[source: The Complete Discourses of Brigham Young, Ed. Richard S. Van Wagoner, Smith-Pettit Foundation, Salt Lake City (2009)]

No comments:

Post a Comment