Mormon History, May 8, 1846

[Hosea Stout Diary] Friday May the 8th 1846. Clear & cool good weather. This fore noon I assisted Br E. T. Benson to hew some timber to be sawed into plank to fix his waggons to move on West.In the after noon was not able to be out.The mail came in to day from Nauvoo bringing news that Br O. P. Rockwell had been taken prisoner in Nauvoo and taken to Carthage but have not learned the particulars[.] I suspect that there has been some treachery used by some or he could not have been taken as it seems to me.
Good clear dry weather. I was sick in the fore noon.In the after noon I went out in company with Benjn Jones into the wood being very lonesome and was talking over our feelings when I was sent for and informed that my little son Hyrum was dying.I returned immediately home and found the poor little afflicted child in the last agonies of death.He died in my arms about four oclock.This was the second child which I had lost both dying in my arms.He died with the hoping cough & black canker[.] He had worn down ever since he first took it as before mentioned.I shall not attempt to say anything about my feelings at this time because my family is still afflicted.My wife is yet unable to go about & little Hosea my only son now is wearing down with the same complaint and what will be the end thereof.I have fearful forboding of coming evil on my family yet[.] We are truly desolate & and afflicted and entirely destitute of any thing even to eat much less to nourish the sick & just able to go about my self. Arraingements were made to bury him this evening.
Business was lively at this time. There was a long string of log houses now being put up on the East & on the west of the farm for the accommodation of those who were going to stay which gave the appearance of a civilized country again.

[source: Diaries of Hosea Stout]

No comments:

Post a Comment