May 3, 1846 - May 5, 1846

-- May 3, 1846
[Nauvoo Temple] The third day of dedicatory services, when the "dedication of the Temple closed."  The Hancock Eagle reporting that 5,000 persons attended on the third day, which was reserved for the Latter-Day Saints. During these services the Saints approved a resolution to sell the Temple and use the funds to help the poor in their move West. (1)

-- May 3, 1846. Sunday.
[William Clayton Journal] The morning fair, windy and cloudy, S.E. wind. Spent the morning making a list of all the company who have made their reports, also fixing tents. At 10 went to meeting. O[rson] Spencer talked a while and was followed by President Young who exhorted the camp to diligence in getting in crops for that will be our salvation the next winter. He said no company should start from here until the South field was made and some houses built. It commenced raining as this meeting closed and about 3 o'clock came on a thunder storm which lasted till near 5 o'clock. I spent the afternoon reading []. Soon after 5 it cleared off some and the sun shone again. While at supper President Young called and stated that he wanted I should [go] to council with him. I started and the council met opposite his tent. It was decided that his fifty build the bridge tomorrow and all the rest go to making rails and also that [Henry] Sherwood and O[rson] Pratt go about 25 or 30 miles southwest to seek out another section. (2)

-- May 04, 1846
After three months of sailing, the ship Brooklyn, transporting over two hundred Latter-day Saints to California, drops anchor off the Island of Juan Fernandez, near the coast of Chile, the island made famous by Alexander Selkirk (Robison Crusoe). (3)

-- May 4, 1846
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 4th I spent the day morning in the City vary busy getting ready to go about 30 miles into the Country to visit Br & Sister Scammans. I started with my mules & carriage & got 4 miles out of the city & got stalled in a mud hole & had to get oxen to draw us out. I then returned home coverd with mud & gave it up for a bad Job. Spent the remainder of the day Cleaning the Mules & Harness &c. (4)

[Hosea Stout Diary] Monday May the 4th 1846. This morning I was called out of my bed by Col Rockwood to go to work after being up untill one and having a sick family to attend to the rest of the night. The weather was clear and cool.I went to girdling timber with Br Benson.The boys came back with Jones things today.I did not work in the afternoon because I was out of provisions however I got some flour from Br Thomas Grover before night & some meat from the Commissary. (5)

-- May 4, 1846. Monday.
[William Clayton Journal] Finished my letter to Diantha and sent it by John Richards. [John] Horlick has concluded to tarry till my wagons are fixed. I spent the day examining my flour and crackers and helping [Margaret] to fix the tent as considerable of my crackers and flour are damaged on account of having poor wagons. I dreamed last night that I saw Diantha and her babe. Her babe was dres[se]d in white and appeared to be [layed] down with its eyes closed. She was bent over it apparently in sorrow. When I went to her she flew to me earnestly but the babe seemed to be kept still and I awoke. This dream has troubled me considerable. Evening met the clerks of 50's in my tent and instructed them how to make their reports &c. (2)

-- Monday, May 4, 1846.
[Apostle Willard Richards Journal] Garden Grove.  Morning clear, wind southwest.  William Young arrived at headquarters on return from Missouri, leaving his wagon back 5 miles on the prairie on account of the mud, and that the water was so high no grinding could be had short of a week’s dry weather.  About 10 a.m., Brothers John Richards and D. Hill received honorable discharge from the first 50 and started for Nauvoo for their families, having labored faithfully through the storm the previous week at making rails.  President Young was laboring through the day on the bridges.  The sound of the axes and malls was like the music of a great band echoing and re-echoing all round the south lot of the farm where there was any timber, and the brethren commenced fencing at the northwest corner and run south a great distance.  The historian was engaged most of the day editing history; the day clear and pleasant.  William Young brought in his wagon in the course of the day, having 540 lbs. bacon, 2 barrels flour, and 5 bushels shorts.  The brethren were very diligent in their several occupations.  This is the first day of the last 9 that it has not rained at Garden Grove. (6)

-- May 5, 1846
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 5th & 6 I spent making preperations for the Journey. (4)

[Hosea Stout Diary] Tuesday May the 5th 1846. Clear, Cool, drying weather road some better[.] Girdled timber with Benjn Jones and W. J. Earl. In the evening we had another thunder storm and hard rain. (5)

-- May 5, 1846. Tuesday.
[William Clayton Journal] The weather is fine. I spent the day preparing to enter the reports on the record. Went over to J[ohn] D. Lees and learned that some of the clerks had been to the  president and told him that I had ordered that they should include in their reports each wife a man has got. I did not do any such thing, only requested each name should be in full according to the order of a previous Council. The President said it did not matter about the names being in full but I think [] after days it will prove it does. Dr. [Willard] Richards thinks as I do. The president I understand appeared quite angry. Many of the band are entirely destitute of provisions and my flour is so near down I have concluded to eat biscuit. I have given the band considerable of my biscuit already. At 9 o'clock evening fixing my wagons. Expected a storm, which soon after commenced, thundered hard and rained very [] the night. (2)


Endnotes:
1 - Brown, Lisle (compiler), Chronology of the Construction, Destruction and Reconstruction of the Nauvoo Temple
2 - George D. Smith, An Intimate Chronicle; The Journals of William Clayton, Signature Books in association with Smith Research Associates, Salt Lake City, 1995, http://amzn.to/william-clayton
3 - The Woodland Institute 'On This Day Historical Database,' http://www.woodlandinstitute.com
4 - Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies
5 - Diaries of Hosea Stout
6 - Apostle Willard Richards Journal


LDS History Timeline
About this site:  http://bit.ly/mhist

No comments:

Post a Comment