Mormon History, Oct 19, 1845, Sunday

[William Clayton Writings] ... As a general thing the bishops have treated me as well as any other man but I confess they treat [me] more like a servant than a brother. I have endeavored under all circumstances to take as little notice as possible of all these things but they sometimes force themselves on me and gall my feelings, especially to think that Joseph who has only been here ten months can fare so much better than the rest of us, and has a family of only himself and Sarah except their hired hands to wait on them. I respect Bishop Whitney as I do my own father but this does not make me insensible of feeling to see so much of what I consider to be unjust partiality and especially when I reflect that there has been so much complaints of others for doing precisely the same things. This morning Er Hyde preached in the Temple afterwards Wm. Smith was cut off from the Church by unanimous vote. He has published a pamphlet against the Twelve.

[source: Fillerup, Robert C., compiler; William Clayton Nauvoo Diaries and Personal Writings, A chronological compilation of the personal writings of William Clayton while he was a resident of Nauvoo, Illinois. http://www.boap.org/LDS/Early-Saints/clayton-diaries]

No comments:

Post a Comment