Mormon History, Oct 8, 1845

[Hosea Stout Diary] Wednesday Octr 8th 1845. Earley this morning I got up and went to Genl Richs and took breakfast and learned the newsHe told me that there was some who were now taking cattle &c from our enemies and was raising thereby considerable excitement and wanted me to find out about it & have it Stoped.I then went to the Stand and met Hunter & McRaes companies and laid the matter before them they all promised to assist me in putting a Stop to such opperations.I then Spoke to them about their using Spiriteous liquor and for bade the use of it among them and ordered the captains to drop any man from the company who would or had used it since it was put down before.He then retired.Capt Hunter then dropped one man who had been drunk the night beforeI then went to the meeting of the Seventies in the Temple and then attended the conference and at noon Col Scott came home with me and took dinner and went to conference again, and at 5 met the policeI Spoke on the policy of
preparing for Calaforna.I
then came home at duskL. D. Wilson with me and he went home & I took the book of my Quorum and Started to a meeting of the same at Br Dustin Amys.On my way hither I learned that the mob party had found the man By the name of Debanair whom Hardin Said was missing, was found buried in the bottom of a ditch made for a Sod fence and they now swore that the mormons in that Settlement should atone for it.I went to the meeting and left the books and went to Genl Richs to report to him about the matter but he was not at home,So I went to the meeting again, and then went to W. Richards and found the 12 in council after that waiting a while went in and reported in a few minutes Genl Rich came and the thing was talked over and I went back to Br Amys and Saw the brethren a Short time and then Started for home and met D. Carn who informed me that I was wanted at M. Hall by Genl Rich.I went and was engaged in making arraingements to have Hunters company at the H
all untill about 12 or one oclock
and then came home.

[Diaries of Hosea Stout]

No comments:

Post a Comment