Mormon History, Sep 8, 1845

[Hosea Stout Diary] 8th M. This morning I went with my wife to the Store and then to the tailors, then to the rope works with Langly & Stout, to see Br Egan but did not see him, and at 2 oclock met the Lodge and at 5 met some officers of the Legion at Coolidges to see about the painting of the scenery of Joseph the Prophet addressing the Nauvoo Legion on the 18th day of June 1844.The officers were dissatisfied with the plan for Br Dibble was about put in the like ness of officers who were not present & also some men who were to be put in conspicuous places on the scenery who were not officers and moreover betrayed the prophet & patriarch to death & also other men who had disgraced their calling as officersto all of these things I made objections and declared I would not be seen portrayed in a group of such men for it would be a disgrace to my children and roughly handled the characters of certain characters in our midst after which the matter was laid over for future consider
ationI then met the
police & went with Br Harmon and laid hands on Br A. Weeks who was very sick then we went to Br Shumways and laid hands on him he was very sick also then to my house and took supper and went to B. Youngs to see him but he was gone to bed being unwell, then to A. Stouts, then to the Temple & saw C Allen he gave me some tithing in stockings & gloves I then came home at 11 oclock at night.

[source: Diaries of Hosea Stout]

No comments:

Post a Comment