Mormon History, May 18, 1847

[Hosea Stout Diary] Tuesday May the 18th 1847. This morning there were but for of the guard appeard for duty in fact they had been running down for several days as they had but poor encouragement for their [service] and some had concluded not to come out unless they were assured of being remunerated according to the promise.
We were too weak handed to guard alone in saftey for the cattle so we rode around to the different ones in authority & notified them of the situation of affairs and desired to know what to do but none could give us any satisfaction on the subject so I dismissed the company with orders to hold themselves in readiness at any time in case they were called on to come out.
I intended to let the guard run down untill the authorities would rise up and help to bear it off & make some arraingements that could be depended on.
After this I took my gun & went out a hunting & as I passed by Elder John Taylors he enquired about the guard & the reasons I was not out & I informed him & he wanted to to call out the company again & he would go. I done so & we all went out & spent the day very agreeably.

[source: Diaries of Hosea Stout]

No comments:

Post a Comment