Mormon History, May 11, 1847

[Hosea Stout Diary] Tuesday May 11th 1847. This morning when I got up I found Capt Caw & 3 more chiefs standing in my yard waiting for me to get up. I invited them in[.] They informed me that they wanted two more beeves one for breakfast & one to take home them. I went & made report of the same to Parley & Cutler[.] Their request was granted & I spent a long time in making preperations to get the cattle for them[.] These he took breakfast with me & while they were eating five more came and stood around the door & Jim invited them in to eat as soon as he was done
While here Capt Caw made a long speech to me stating his good feelings for us and his willingness for us to stay on his land deprecating at the same time, the rascalty Omahas &c.
The guard went down about six miles, which was below the place where we met them yesterday & there waited until the Indians came on.
They were engaged in dressing their beef to take home with them.
They came on not long after we arrived & we all went on together about two miles further & we turned North along the dividing and took our post on guard
This company of Indians went down to the Omaha Village & I sent word by them to let them know that we were out with a guard and were prepared to meet them in case they attempted to force our cattle away.

[source: Diaries of Hosea Stout]

No comments:

Post a Comment