Mormon History, May 16, 1847

[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 16th Sunday Still Cloudy & Cool wind. I did not feel vary well this morning And did not rise untill 7 oclock which was two hours after the time. When I got out of my carriage I found all five of my horses standing at the stakes while all the other Horses of the encampment had been feeding two hours. It was Br John Fowlers Business to let them out but He did not get up untill half an hour after I did. He Is destitute of the spirit or principle that a faithful man or servant should possess. And it makes it much harder upon me in the care of the teams & business than it would if I had a true & faithful man with me.
Br Burnham does our cooking which keeps him vary busy & He has the hardest time of it as much of the time He has nothing but Buffalo dung to make a fire of. We are now in a place whare we are proving ourselves & if we are not faithful we shall Come under Condemnation.
I rode out to day with Brothers Young Kimball, Benson Rockwell & Stephens 4 miles over the Bluffs to pick out a road for the camp to go across to get again on the bottoms. We found a road through & returned to the camp. I picked up A young Hare which Br Young took in to Camp. We saw Herds of Buffalo while Coming in. Br Glines went out Hunting & shot an Antelope & one Buffalo though it was against the rules of the Camp & Council of his Captain to go Hunting on sunday.
We had a good meeting in the Afternoon. Br [ ] opened meeting by Prayer. Brs Richards Markham Rockwood & Kimball spoke & the laws of the camp were read & a good spirit prevailed. The channel of the teaching was to Harken to council & sustain the Heads of the Church & go do what was said unto us & it would prove A Blessing unto us. 8 mi.

[source: Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies]

No comments:

Post a Comment