Mormon History, May 14, 1847

[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 14th I went out early in the morning to Hunt some Buffalo. I cashed myself in the bank & a large Herd came along, but their old Bulls was out as a rear & front guard & there was none of their young cattle near enough for me to shoot so they past by.
I saw some more coming. I way laid them. They proved to be 7 Bulls. I fired at the youngest one while [it] passed by but missed him.
I then returned to camp. Took breakfast. Had a hard shower of rain, & some words with Br Fowler & started out again Hunting.
Br Higby soon Killed an Antelope that was put on board of a boat called the revenue Cutter. Phineas Young & myself went out to gether. Waited for Buffalo & Antilope. I finally got lost among the Bluffs but found my way out again. Br Phineas shot an Buck Antilope & I carried him into Camp. There was 3 Antilope & one Buffalo Bull killed.
Some of the Hunters thought they herd Indian guns on the opposit side of the river during the night. An Indian cralled up to a pair of mules that was tied together & made a grab to ketch them. They sprung & got away from him. One of the guards shot at him & he run. All Horses were then brought into the Circle & the Cannon prepared for firing but seeing no more it was not fired. Travled 8 miles.

[source: Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies]

No comments:

Post a Comment