Mormon History, Aug 8, 1846

[Hosea Stout Diary] But at 8 oclock the Twelve & High Council met with them in council. The following is the minutes of said council. Present on the part of the Omahas Big Elk a man sixty two years of age his son (Standing Elk) a man about 32 years of age and Logan Fontenelle the interpreter, a half breed, a young man of a very penetrating look, and something of a schollar, a decendant of the Omaha nation on his mothers side aged about 24 years and about seventy chiefs and braves.
President Young asked if they were ready to do business and they answered in the affirmative. The President said that we were on our way to Calafornia and getting as far as Council Point, was over taken by a government officer calling for men to go as soldiers to Santa Fe &c and in consequence of parting with so many men were left destitute of hands for teamsters in consequence of which we would ask of you the privilege of stopping on your lands this winter or untill we can get ready to go on again.We want the privilege of cutting timber and grass sufficient for our use.We have the privilege of the government if we can bargain with you.We have also Mechanics of different kinds that can be of benefit to you in repairing guns &c and we want to establish a trading house, & if we do will they trade with us as they do others.Ask them if they are willing we should plant & sow this fall and next spring.We want them to understand that we are their friends and we want to live with them as such and have our cattle and persons safe. Tell them that we are acting under the advice of the government â€" We will establish schools if they want us to.One thing we would not forget to mention. We bought corn corn of the Otos which we afterwards learned belonged to the Omahas and then we stoped buying.
Big Elk answered and said I am probably the oldest man in council and hope you will not take offence if I call you all sons. I am willing my self and be glad to have you stay if my Grandfather the President is willing and as the Otos pretend to own this land I would advise you to settle here without making a bargain with any
My sons, I like what you say very much and I have it in my heart. I am weak, and because I am weak am imposed upon;If I go to hunt one way I meet enemies, and if I turn the other way I meet enemies.I am hunted like the dog on the prairie.We are killed by families without provocation and imposed upon every way and have been for the last ten years.But I have held still because I was advised so to do by the government or I could have done as they have done & killed some too
But I have not done it. I have young men that I can lend if you want help to guard your cattle.If you make improvements I would be glad to have you go to Council Bluffs as that land is not in dispute and I intend to build a town there that we may have the benefit of your improvements after you have gone.There is some few Elk & deer at the Bluffs and as you are numerous I do not want you should kill them all off
There is a tribe above here that may come down and do some damage in stealing and killing our cattle. And the Otos look out for them.
And if I send young men to help you I will instruct them how to do. I want your protection and hope you will take pity on us and help us and fix our guns and as you have asked us to sign a writing you may write what has been said to day and we will sign it[.] You may stay two years or untill we sell as we mean to sell and go away
President Young said that we have said all that we have to say at present and we would call on him in four days and have what has been said committed to writing and have the business done right. Big Elk said there was some stone three miles below the Old Garrison and some brick on the spot the ruins of the old buildings &c
They also desired us to take their corn & keep it for them for fear other tribes would get it for them which was agreed to & also to help draw it for them[.] But it was understood that we would have nothing to do with any difficulty between them and any other tribe and also as we had lost some cattle sheep & Horses if they would find them and bring them to us we would pay them for it
Their supper was then provided for them which was similar to their breakfast. There was some more said but this includes the substance

[Diaries of Hosea Stout]

No comments:

Post a Comment