Mormon History, Mar 27, 1847

[Brigham Young Sermon] President Brigham Young said that be did not tease any man to come into my family. Neither did be want any to do so on account of the farming organization. If I am able to save one man why cannot I save more, and sometimes I wish that I could say unto all the ends of the earth, come and be saved. I have no objection to receiving any man into this organization until he behaves like the very devil as Joseph Woodard did after teasing and whining around me for three days to have his wife sealed to me. I told him that they were both adopted to me and that was enough, but that would not do. Now he wants to take my life. He is a poor miserable curse and he will be cursed, and when any man shall act as he has I win treat them like an enemy. About 80 names were entered. President Young said that there were enough to commence with. Now let old experience men head small companies, say about 4 to 10 men, and let each man have ten acres to commence with. My mind is that 10 acres of land well cultivated will produce more grain than 20 acres half tended. President Young said Brother J. D. Lee is capable of heading a company and will likely raise 5,000 bushel of grain with his own family. Isaac Morley, 1st Co. John Vance, 2nd Co. John D. Lee, 3rd Co. Consisting of 25 men. President Young said that he must withdraw and let Father Morley ascertain who can go on Monday to the farm and organize the remainder according to the pattern. 9 President Young withdrew. 10 names were recorded to remove on Monday morning next up to the farm. -- Winter Quarters, Nebraska [Journals of John D. Lee 1846-47 and 1859. Charles Kelly, ed. Salt Lake City: University of Utah Press, 1984. 135-136]

[The Complete Discourses of Brigham Young, Ed. Richard S. Van Wagoner, Smith-Pettit Foundation, Salt Lake City (2009)]
[source: The Complete Discourses of Brigham Young, Ed. Richard S. Van Wagoner, Smith-Pettit Foundation, Salt Lake City (2009)]

No comments:

Post a Comment