Mormon History, Jan 25, 1846

[Hosea Stout Diary] Sunday Jany 25th 1846. Went home very earley and took breakfast and returned to the Temple to meet the guardafter detailing the guard for the day Br G. W. Langley came to me and demanded of me to call the old Police together to themselves as there was something to settle, they met in the Temple cellarHe was dissatisfied at my proceeding in some instances and in particular because I had appointed E. Luddington sergeant of the guard at the Temple and swore in absolute terms that he would not submit to it but said the rest of the police might do as they pleased.He said many hard & inflammatory things about my course in the guard which was calculated to disaffect those who were well disposed to do their duty but said he was a friend to meI considered it nothing more nor less than absolute and wilful dissension and an attact on the discharge of my duty.There was much said by different ones but none came out against me but some were somewhat disaffected at first others were decidedly
against him and sustained me in the course I had taken.The more which was said about it I saw that the police thought the less of what he said.However after a long time I spoke on the subject of their disaffection and told them the fatal consequences thereof and warned them to ceace their bickerings murmering backbiting evit speakings about one another or they would be torn asunder and scattered to the four winds (as police) and fall away from the faith.All but Langley were melted into tears amost and some asked my pardon for what they had saidLangley remained inveterate as everthere was other things which he had done as he said there which proved that he had been my secret enemy for a long time.After the matter had been thus discussed I proposed for all those who felt perfectly satisfied with me as matters now stood and would sustain me even unto death to give their names to the clerk which they all did & Langley among among the rest.But he immediately went to doing all that he
could against me by Sowering the mind of Genl C. Rich about some things which had called forth his name in our talkI went home and took dinner and met the guard at three as usual and addressed them at some length on the things which were coming to pass and the responsibility of the guard and also warned them to beware of evil Spirits and men among them who would lead their minds away from their duty &c.The spirit of God rested down upon us and the whole house was melted into tearsafter I was done Speaking we joined in prayer by Br A. Paten.I then detailed the guard and went home before dark and had a difficulty settled at home as before refered to after which I felt at restMy mind had been so burthened & my Spirits depressed at what had taken place in the police At the unfaithfulness of Langley whom I had taken so much pains to learn to govern and be a man of influence and befriended so long and now was so ungrateful as to leave me in trouble that I was almost down sick.
I went to bed and rested well all night

[source: Diaries of Hosea Stout]

No comments:

Post a Comment