Mormon History, May 29, 1849

[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 29th {W. I Appleby Died of Cholera} I recieved one letter from W W. Wade one from Elder Gibson And the Frontier Guardian. I wrote 5 letters to O. Hyde to J. Gibson Little & Hardy W W Wade & Sarah B Foss.
I recieved the Painful intelligence By Br Gibsons letter that Elder Wm I Appleby Died of the Cholera on board of the steemer while on his way from St Louis to the bluffs with many of the Company with him. The Cholera is laying waste the inhabitants of the Earth in the western states esspecially on the rivers & our brethren are in the midst of it & several of them are falling by it. Elder Appleby has been A faithful labourer in the vineyard & has left A strong testimony to the world. I little thought the last time I saw him that He would leave us so soon.
How many of the Saints are falling or have died by the Cholera I know not But I have felt much depressed in spirit for A week past And have felt the forebodings of trying News. My prayer to God is that He will spare his Saints from the pestilence which is now walking in darkness & wasteth at Noon day. I expect this season will be a trying time to the inhabitants of the Earth And time must determine whose life will be preserved. /June 13 I recieved word saying that Elder Appleby is not dead but is well & gone to the Bluffs./

[source: Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies]

No comments:

Post a Comment