Mormon History, Apr 23, 1849

[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 23d I took Cars. Rode to New York. Herd that T. D. Brown from Liverpool had Arived in New York had waited A week to see me. Was now about to leave for the west. I went down immediately to see him. Found him at the Hotel opposite Jersey City ferry. Our meeting was one of Rejoicing. We spent about 3 hours to gether. He had 9 in family wife children relatives &c. He paid the fare of About 40 families to Zion who went with Capt Jones & Spences. He sent up also about $10,000 dollars worth of goods to the valley. He was known as A Latter Day Saint on the Steem Ship & Exherted a good influence so much so that the first Officers of the Steemer with the Mates, Clerk, purser &c came to see him leave the city for the west. I was introduced to them. I took tea with him & family. He put £1 A sovereign into my hands at the table. May the Lord bless him fourfold I pray. 15 miles.

[source: Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies]

No comments:

Post a Comment