Mormon History, Jul 9, 1848

[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 9th Sunday In company with Brothers Dana & Kingsley I rode in my carrige to Montrose. Dined with Br Beebe.
We then crossed the river on the steem ferry boat to Nauvoo. We called upon Almon Babbit. Then in company with John Snider I visited the Temple & went over it from the bottom to the top whare I once more had A full view of the once beautiful but now desolate city of Nauvoo.
The temple was in a much better state of preservation than I expected to find it. The people in the City of Nauvoo were much excited from A report that Elder Hyde would preach in the Temple that day. They had made many threats upon the subject & some Came in waggons from the Country to hear & see but the excitement was all among themselves for Elder Hyde had given out no such appointment.
I returned to A Babits & found A man who had come from Mishigan to enquire after the gospel & to see the saints. I was introduced to him & told his business. I preached the Gospel to him one hour. He then [went to the] river in Nauvoo And I Baptized him And we returned to Br John Snider in the House that G. A. Smith Built. We there Confirmed him & I ordained him an Elder. Gave him A license to preach the gospel & he went his way rejoicing. I spent the night with Br Snider.

[source: Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies]

No comments:

Post a Comment