Mormon History, Sep 24, 1848 (Afternoon)

[Brigham Young Sermon] B. Young gave out that on 6 October Conference will convene at this place and for the brethren to spend some time in singing, etc at a conference as usual - we are to raise the teams to go to the other companies this afternoon. - and I want the brethren to come to my camp and divide the sheep and concerning the city plot and many are asking whether they shall build on their lots - in forts, or where - and reaping those mills on City Creek. I'm not disposed to drink the refuse of their faith and I want Brother Crimson to be apprised of it and give him time to remove it'- The place of our selection for a city is - first grand object is water - the bread stuff we brought with us - it was the feelings of all the pioneers that the water be preserved pure - no bridges to be put over - no timber to be cut there, and no filth to be put in - it would annoy every persons feelings to allow the machinery to remain there, but to keep it all pure - this was left in the epistle - and gave Ira Eldridge the privilege of digging the ditch and using the water that was to irrigate the land - I have no objections for the grist mill running a short time - when Brother Neff's mill is running - Brother Crismon might take his away - as we may go and build on our lots - may I take my cows, and sheep there for I shall watch my cattle all the time - and all voted that he may take his cattle and sheep there tomorrow. With regard to farming lands - shall every man go where he pleases or have his land plotted off to him we plotted off 5, 10, 20, 40 and 80 acre lots a mechanic can attend his 5 acres at morning and night - my feelings are to work unitedly together, some think the valley is not big enough already - the more compact this people are the less trouble we have and the more scattered they are the more trouble they have - our plans were laid last season - if we go unitedly to work we can put the water anywhere we please - everything can be done with water - my mind is to make a canal, and a general fence, and then you can fight the crickets - and make another fence and keep away the wolves from our stock - a rail fence 10 rails high and 10 feet long - eight miles square is one rail for an acre'- There has been a great deal said about the soldiers those who have been with their families - know nothing of the hardships that the Battalion has passed through - they have accomplished what they were sent - I am told they are treated with neglect - there are three classes here, the noble, the ignoble and last of all a soldier - I ask all who have been in the army have they seen the spirit in me? I have prayed from them - they have done a good work and I want all to hold their tongues about them. Many are not to blame who have been blamed - and those who think they are under censure have an opportunity to step out of it - there have been bad men among the soldiers as also among us - if I have said anything wrong about them I would be glad to have the privilege of saying I have been mistaken - I did blame Captain Hunt that he did not command the Battalion - and not admit a gentile mobocrat (Smith) to command them. I blame him now - I would have as freely given 10,000 to have been with the Battalion two hours. I would let them know I was General there. I swear to you I would have resigned my commission and not to be rode over by the boys. He says he carried out our designs and its over - I want them all to forget the past and do right for the time to come - I wonder if any of them are going to live in this fort and not ear bread - Men who have hoarded their flour up - I would have smashed their barrels to thunder - now hold your tongues about it - but I wont feed a man to serve the devil on - every man who has sold his meal and his flour to Bridgers may go without - no man shall sell any wheat or Corn out of this valley - shall we be uniform in our buildings and not come nearer than twenty feet between house and garden fence. -- Salt Lake City [Thomas Bullock Minutes, LJA; Thomas Bullock—LDS Church Reporter, 1844-56.C, Archives, Church History Library, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Salt Lake City, Utah.; GCM, Archives, Church History Library, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Salt Lake City, Utah..; Leonard J. Arrington Papers, Special Collections, Merrill-Cazier Library, Utah State University, Logan.. (A reference reading LJA 12-55-5, 10, means LJA Series 12, Box 55, Folder 5, page 10.) 9-13-3, 5-7; General Church Minutes. Selected Collections from the Archives of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints DVD 1 (2002)]

[source: The Complete Discourses of Brigham Young, Ed. Richard S. Van Wagoner, Smith-Pettit Foundation, Salt Lake City (2009), http://bit.ly/BY-discourses]

No comments:

Post a Comment