Mormon History, Oct 8, 1847

[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 8th We travled 8 miles & nooned. Soon after we stoped A large body of animals appeared in sight over the Bluff. We at first thought it was A Band of mounted warriors but By the aid of our glasses we found them to be a band of one hundred or more Elk. They made A splended appearance. They were about one mile from Camp. Several of us took our guns & went after them. They were as large as good sized mules.
I went up a swail of tall grass. The band came within 10 rods of me their horns waveing in the air upbove the weeds like Rockingchairs. The Bucks were in Advance. As the does were the best this season of the year I drew my gun to my face & waited for one to come in sight. At this instant Another man Came up behind me & they saw him & broke & run. He shot at them as they run but did no good. They ran near a Frenchman who shot a doe through the neck & he fell dead the ownly one killed out of the Band though several shots were made.
I got A piece of it for my supper the first Elk meat I ever ate. We travled 7 miles & camped on the Bank of the Platt. We crossed many pure streams of water to day. Distance 15 m.

[source: Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies]

No comments:

Post a Comment